Missing investment transactions in Quicken for Mac

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
When using Quicken for windows 2015 it would automatically enter a payment/deposit transaction for every buy transaction that was downloaded.  This kept my cash balance at zero.  When I upgraded to quicken for mac 2016 these transactions are no longer entered. in the register.  Does the mac version not support this feature or do I need to do something to turn this back on?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Transactions are not created in QM16 as the result of downloading other transactions. If your brokerage is not transmitting the deposit transactions that correspond to the buys, then you will have to enter them manually.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Thank you.  Is this a change from Quicken for windows.  I didn't change brokerage accounts, but they no longer appear since I switched to QM.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    SB Boston said:

Thank you.  Is this a change from Quicken for windows.  I didn't change brokerage accounts, but they no longer appear since I switched to QM.

I'm not a Windows user, so I don't know. Maybe someone else will chime in.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    SB Boston said:

@SB Boston are you referring to the linked MM account in QW?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    SB Boston said:

I have a fidelity account which I downloaded all transactions to QW15 401k investment register.  Each paycheck there would be a buy transaction for the selected funds in my portfolio.  When I downloaded these buy transactions in Quicken, QW added an offsetting transaction (with a pencil status icon) in my register showing a cash adjustment so it would be zero cash in the account.  After I flipped to QM16, these transactions were no longer added and i now have a negative cash balance.

• RickO
    edited December 2017
    SB Boston said:

I can't speak to QW, but QM will not automatically add such transactions. 

But my question for you is: where do the funds come from to buy these securities?

If they are a deduction from your paycheck, then you should be entering a transfer from your paycheck transaction in your checking account to the 401k account. This will provide the cash infusion in the 401k to cover the buys.

If the fund are an employer contribution, then you should be entering a Deposit transaction with a category such as "Employer Retirement Contribution" which will let you track these contributions. Assuming the contributions are consistent, you could set them up as scheduled transactions in the 401k account to simplify their entry each month.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    SB Boston said:

Thank You RickO,  i have updated my paycheck deduction to transfer to this account.  QW must work differently from QM as QW automatically created these transactions for me and did not have to do a transfer.  Thank You
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    SB Boston said:

Suspect you initially  set this up as a xfer in QW before it remembered the transactions for you.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks.   I am using my paycheck and scheduled employer contribution transaction to solve.  

What puzzles me is how the cash adjustments (that appear to be manual) were entered into the register as I didn't enter them.  What I didn't show in the detail above is that the cash adjustments are for the exact amount of each buy transaction and they also contain a note:  "Offset cash for 03/31/2016 Buy transaction."  Each week the date would change in the notes.  My only conclusion is that if Quicken didn't make a matching deposit, Fidelity must have changed what they send through the direct connect method the same time I switched to QM16. Coincidence?

Regardless, i changed to the method described above.  Thanks for your help. 
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    SB Boston said:

Thanks.   I am using my paycheck and scheduled employer contribution transaction to solve.  

What puzzles me is how the cash adjustments (that appear to be manual) were entered into the register as I didn't enter them.  What I didn't show in the detail above is that the cash adjustments are for the exact amount of each buy transaction and they also contain a note:  "Offset cash for 03/31/2016 Buy transaction."  Each week the date would change in the notes.  My only conclusion is that if Quicken didn't make a matching deposit, Fidelity must have changed what they send through the direct connect method the same time I switched to QM16. Coincidence?

Regardless, i changed to the method described above.  Thanks for your help. 

If transactions are just "appearing", they must have come through Direct Connect from Fidelity. I have a bunch of Fidelity accounts and I've never seen this. But mine are brokerage, not 401k (Net Benefits) and I also always have cash shown in the account before the buys.
This discussion has been closed.