manual entry of cost basis and acquisition date

Doug
Doug Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I'm running Quicken 2017 Premier, R15.13 Windows.  I have manually added a new investment portfolio.  I want to manually edit the acquisition date and cost basis of each security.  Can't seem to use placeholders because the manual entry means the portfolio is not listed on the dropdown.  Any ideas as to how to enter the information manually?  Thanks!

Comments

• ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If you know the acquisition date and cost basis of each security, then use that information in the first transaction for that security if you have already entered it.  Manually change the date and the price to the acquisition date and the cost basis. Otherwise, if you have not yet entered any transactions, then Enter Transactions > Add - Shares Added > Transaction Date (= your acquisition date) > Security Name (= your security) > Number of shares > Price paid (cost basis).
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Colin.  Yes ... I have entered each security initially, but I did not have (nor enter) the cost basis.  I did enter an acquisition date, but some of them were in error.  Now, I want to go back and add the cost basis and the actual acquisition date.  You say I should "manually change the date and the price ...", but that's my issue.  When I click on the security in the portfolio view and hit "edit", I'm not able to edit that info.  Can you guide me?  Thanks.
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    That's unusual. Can you delete the transaction that you can't edit?  I would delete that initial transaction and enter a brand new one with the information you have now that you know it.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, I can go to the investment account where I initially entered the securities and delete each, and then re-enter each with correct basis and acquisition date.  BUT!!! ... there are a lot of securities, and I was hoping just to be able to edit them.  Maybe your suggestion is my best path.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    When I click on the security in the portfolio view and hit "edit", I'm not able to edit that info.  
    You need to be addressing this from the transaction list of the applicable account.  That list should have (you want it to have) Add Share transactions.  Edit those transactions to have access to the Acquisition dates and Cost Basis information for each lot (as applicable).
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    When I go to each transaction, I can edit.  Is the box labeled "price paid" where I should enter the basis?  I'm guessing yes since there's no other price box.  I see, too, that I can edit the acquisition date here.  If the "price paid" is where I should enter basis, you've helped me figure this out.
  • Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes, price paid = basis
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Doug said:

When I go to each transaction, I can edit.  Is the box labeled "price paid" where I should enter the basis?  I'm guessing yes since there's no other price box.  I see, too, that I can edit the acquisition date here.  If the "price paid" is where I should enter basis, you've helped me figure this out.

If you are using the getting to the form,  Price paid is per share cost, Total cost is the cost basis for that lot (that specific number of shares, acquired on that date).   It is preferable to enter the total cost and let Quicken calculate the price / share.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Doug said:

As stated by q.lurker, the cost basis is the total cost of a transaction.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank you both!  I've got my head screwed on correctly now, and all transactions have been updated!!  Consider this question resolved.
This discussion has been closed.