How do I correct a security name mixup in Quicken

Jay Gourley
Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My Quicken 2018, R5.15, has two securities transposed. 

The reconcile-shares and one-step update report that I have X shares in company A and should have zero and I have zero shares of company B and should have X shares.  But this is wrong.  The company names and ticker symbols are correct, and the correct share prices and share balances are displayed on the Investing tab.

The problem is with a single pair of securities and probably resulted from me improperly recording a mutual fund conversion. 

How do I correct it?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So Quicken thinks you have X shares of Company A, when you really (real-world) have X shares of Company B?  I would locate the transactions in the transaction list for the account where you acquired the X shares of Company A and edit those transactions to refer to Company B.  

(Backup first in case something goes haywire!)
    (More details usually improve the quality and confidence of answers.)
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I wish it were that simple.  The transactions are all entered correctly.  Company A shares are removed just as they should be.  And Company B shares are added just as they should be.  Despite that, Quicken thinks Company A is company B and vice versa.  As I said before, the ticker symbols are correct for both securities.  And for historical prices, Quicken seems to recognize that Company A is Company A and Company B is Company B.  Go figure.  It's only on the one-step update and reconcile functions that it transposes the companies.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I wish it were that simple.  The transactions are all entered correctly.  Company A shares are removed just as they should be.  And Company B shares are added just as they should be.  Despite that, Quicken thinks Company A is company B and vice versa.  As I said before, the ticker symbols are correct for both securities.  And for historical prices, Quicken seems to recognize that Company A is Company A and Company B is Company B.  Go figure.  It's only on the one-step update and reconcile functions that it transposes the companies.

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to by "It's only on the one-step update and reconcile functions that it transposes the companies" but if you are constantly getting requests to enter placeholders, I wonder if the financial institution sending the balances has things reversed.  That would seem to explain your situation.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

The other possibility is that the matching between Quicken and the online brokerage is crossed up.  

Edit the security details for both A and B.  Uncheck the box about Matched with online security.  Then for the applicable go the Reconcile Shares route.  You should be prompted to match the security the brokerage is sending (A or B) to a Quicken security.  Make sure you get the match correct, A to A or B to B.  
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

That did it.  Thanks.  One of the "Matched with online security" boxes was already unchecked.  I unchecked the other.  Did a one-step update and the problem disappeared.  
This discussion has been closed.