Quicken Deluxe 2018 Mac will not convert Quicken Essentials file

Recently upgraded Mac OS 10.10.5 to 10.13.3 (High Sierra). Quicken Essentials will not run. Fine.

Installed Quicken Deluxe 2018 from disk purchased at Office Depot, downloaded/installed update to 5.5.0.

Click "Start from Quicken Essentials File" in startup. Click "Don't use Mobile" because I don't wish to. Brings up the popup of "Backing up data file" - creates a .quicken file about 2x the size of the original .quickendata file. Makes it through "setting up", and moves on to "updating database". After 10-15 seconds on that step, Quicken crashes and closes all windows.

I called Quicken support. Spoke with Jessica. Uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken, re-updated Quicken. Repeated all steps with her on the phone. Same result. She spoke more with technical support - they determined that the .quickendata file must have been corrupted in the OS update, so I would have to start from scratch as the only option. Ended call with Jessica in support.

Went into my Time Machine backups, and pulled up the .quickendata file from 2 days before my OS update. This was a file saved two days previous to the one I'd been working with, and thus should be un-corrupted; Quicken Essentials was able to access, work with it and save it (before OS update).

Going through the same steps with the older version of the file results in the same crash. It's not a problem of corruption of the .quickendata file.

I'm beyond frustrated.

Help please.

Editing to add relevant information from the crash log file:
Exception Type:  SIGABRT

Exception Codes: #0 at 0x7fff62b34e3e
***Terminating app due to uncaught exception
'NSUnknownKeyException', reason: '[<NSManagedObject 0x600001496b70>
valueForUndefinedKey:]: the entity OtherSecurity is not key value
coding-compliant for the key "openingPrice".'

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Aside from the obvious first step of restarting the computer, the only thing that comes to mind to try is to go ahead and create a new QM18 data file when you launch Quicken. Play with it a little bit just to make sure that it seems to be operating normally with a new file.

If so, then try menu File > New to start another new file, this time choosing Start from Quicken Essentials File. 

I'm not optimizing that is going to work though.

The "openingPrice" item in the crash log got me to thinking about something.... One of the changes in v5.5.0 (from v.5.4.4) is the addition of the Opening Price field to the security price entry dialog (and of course the security price database). I'm wondering (betting actually) that something was not accounted for in importing QE data with this new field. 

When you downloaded QM18, did you have to run the update to 5.5.0? If so, you may be in luck. Start over and download QM18 again, but decline to do the update. Then try to import your QE file. I'll bet it comes in okay. Then, after you've got it working make a backup of your file (and a compressed copy of the pre-5.5.0 QM18 app) and let QM18 run the update to 5.5.0. 

Let me know what happens.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I installed QM18 from disk, and then, yes, had to download and run the update to 5.5. I will do exactly what you suggest, and see if that works.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

I installed QM18 from disk, and then, yes, had to download and run the update to 5.5. I will do exactly what you suggest, and see if that works.

Great. If it works, we will need to report to the dev team that they broke the QE import when they added the Opening Price field.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

It worked!! I was able to bypass the update. It imported all of my Quicken Essentials, and seems to be all in order! The only question now is whether I should do the update of the software now. Do you think it will re-break things with that one hanging exception?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

Kay, I wouldn't think so. But make a backup copy of your 2018 data file, Compress it just to make sure you don't accidentally open it, and then open Quicken with your live file and update Quicken. If it sails through, which I'd expect, you're clear to move forward; if it crashes, you can go back to the backup file and NOT update Quicken for the time being, and we can try to flag one f the moderators to try to get this in front of the development team.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

Kay, I agree, since 5.5.0 has not had problems reported updating databases from earlier 5.x.x versions, it should be fine.

It was brilliant of you to post the crash log which led us to the solution. 

What is very strange about this is that QE doesn't even do securities. But glad we got it figured out. I have passed it along to the dev team for review.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

That's what led me to post that section of the crash log, RickO. I was going through it after the 15th time it generated one, and said aloud "But I don't even have those!"

Thank you so much for knowing the update changes, so we could get around the error.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

And, we have successful update to 5.5.0!
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Kay said:

Sorry.  This was a bug we introduced into 5.5.  We have a fix and will get that out to the Care team today 2/6.  We're just doing some final testing on it now.
This discussion has been closed.