Quicken Mac 2007 => Quicken Mac 2018 - Orphaned Transfers

jsurpless
jsurpless Member ✭✭
I installed Quicken Mac 2018 and I noticed that I have quite a few transactions tagged with '[IMPORTED ORPHAN TRANSFER]'

I started fixing them using the bulk transaction editing (which is *really* nice) and then I noticed that all of my paychecks going back to 2012 are affected.  Since they are all split transactions, I can't figure out how to bulk-edit them?

I'm not sure but I believe it's a combination of split transactions that also use classes

All the split entries (transfer and non-transfers) show 'missing transfer' in the transfer column - please note that I fixed the last line of the split transaction hereimage

Any thoughts on how I can deal with this?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Unfortunately, there is no way currently to bulk edit split transactions, which makes the bulk editing significantly less useful.

One thing I'm curious about in the screen shot you posted... For all your payroll taxes, are transfers *missing* -- what it says -- or was there no transfer in the first play.e I'm not sure way a paycheck that categorizes withholding taxes, as yours does, would also have a transfer on each of the splits. Typically, each tax would have a category for the tax but no transfer. I don't know if you can still run your Quicken 2007, but I'd be interested to se what this same transaction looks like in 2007. I would expect not to see transfers for all the line items except the last.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    jacobs said:

Unfortunately, there is no way currently to bulk edit split transactions, which makes the bulk editing significantly less useful.

One thing I'm curious about in the screen shot you posted... For all your payroll taxes, are transfers *missing* -- what it says -- or was there no transfer in the first play.e I'm not sure way a paycheck that categorizes withholding taxes, as yours does, would also have a transfer on each of the splits. Typically, each tax would have a category for the tax but no transfer. I don't know if you can still run your Quicken 2007, but I'd be interested to se what this same transaction looks like in 2007. I would expect not to see transfers for all the line items except the last.

Regarding the screenshot, the only actual transfer was the one that I already fixed.  The salary and other taxes shouldn't be transfers which is what makes this especially odd.

Here's what it looks like in Quicken 2007

If I can't bulk-edit them, is any other way that I can address the problem?

I assume that others are using classes in a similar way?
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Not sure if it's anything but for most of the transactions that I'm having issues with (namely, Paychecks), it looks like the Scheduled transactions came over the migrate just fine
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Must be something wrong with my data file - created a new file and set up a similar transaction to the ones I'm having trouble with... no issue, imported just fine
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    jsurpless said:

Must be something wrong with my data file - created a new file and set up a similar transaction to the ones I'm having trouble with... no issue, imported just fine

You might wish to reindex your 2007 file (in 2007) and reattempt the import.
    1. Open the 2007 file
    2. Open the Accounts window
    3. Hold down Command+Option+B
    4. After reindexing is complete, Save a Copy
    Attempt to see if this file will import.
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    jsurpless said:

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, it didn't seem to help

Reviewed the log file and have the following message

3002 transactions in the account 'Checking - Justin' have been marked with the note '[IMPORTED ORPHAN TRANSFER]' because they were originally transfers but could not be matched.

Not sure why it would think this because the transactions are linked in 2007 (cmd-[) takes me to the other side
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    jsurpless said:

I also get a lot of orphaned transactions when I import my Quicken 2007 data file (which I still use) into Quicken 2018 (which I experiment with). I have never taken time to see if I can manually do anything in 2007 to "repair" them to they import correctly into 2018. I did an assessment of this once and thought the unlinked transactions were old enough that I wouldn't access them often and it wouldn't cause me problems. (I plan to re-visit this when I decide to make my final leap from 2007 to the new Quicken.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    jsurpless said:

I just conducted a quick test - I removed the classes from the transfers in my most recent paycheck and then re-imported into 2018.

This last transaction imported flawlessly and the earlier ones continued to have issues.

Unfortunately, the age of the transactions doesn't affect things because the other side of the transfer is not importing properly either... as a result, those accounts have massively negative balances
This discussion has been closed.