Random amounts appear in accounts.

While updating my Quicken checking account, random amounts started appearing in other accounts.  I use "checking" accounts for my credit cards, and can not reconcile the credit card accounts because of these random amounts.  I am using Quicken 2018 for Windows, R 5.15, Build 27.1.5.15.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Joe,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

Do the amounts have a payee?

Are the accounts that these amounts appeared in connected for download?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Sometimes a picture
    is worth a thousand words ...

Can you please
    capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy
    but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What do you mean by "checking" accounts?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Hey Joe,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

Do the amounts have a payee?

Are the accounts that these amounts appeared in connected for download?

-Quicken Tyka

None of my accounts are linked for download.  Each of the accounts used to record credit card charges and payments was created as a "Checking" type account, rather than a "Credit" type.  Purchases are entered when the payment is made, and the account is reconciled to a zero balance.  The lase time I was making the  entries, ALL credit card accounts showed a balance due; with no apparent connection to any purchase.  And, no payee appears in the account listing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Sometimes a picture

Can you please

capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

This is a page from one of the accounts.  This, like all of my credit card accounts is paid down to a zero balance when the bill is received.(Hope this works!)
    Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

When an account is set up, there are choices of the type pf account - Checking, Savings, Credit, Asset, etc.
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2020

Sometimes a picture

Can you please

image.

Where is the random amount?

• mshiggins
    edited March 2020

I am a bit puzzled why you chose to set up your credit card accounts using the checking account type.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Sometimes a picture

Can you please

image.

That’s why I have a problem. There is no entry that generates it. It just screws up the whole account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

So that all registers look and act the same.
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2020

Sometimes a picture

Can you please

image.

Is the issue that the ending balance is not zero?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Sometimes a picture

Can you please

image.

Yes
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Thanks for including a register page of one of your credit card accounts.
    These transactions all look "normal" to me, purchases and payment transfers from your checking account.
    Can you point out which of these transactions do not belong?

You may have to go in and manually re-reconcile your accounts. Compare your account registers to the banks' statements and locate any discrepancies. Make corrections as needed.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

These transactions all look "normal" to me, purchases and payment transfers from your checking account.

You may have to go in and manually re-reconcile your accounts. Compare your account registers to the banks' statements and locate any discrepancies. Make corrections as needed.

They look normal, except for the fact that each account is reconciled to Zero each month.  Re-reconciling is not practical because accounts go all the way back tp 2010.  What I need is an explanation as to how this happened, how to correct it, and how to prevent it from happening again.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I think what you are seeing is normal and correct. I also pay my credit cards in full every month. But I never see a balance of $0.00 because other charges have accumulated in the meantime.

In the attached screen shot, you can see I paid a balance of $1444.81, and you can see where in the flow that amount was the balance. But I have several new charges in the interim, preventing the balance from ever showing zero.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Thank you for your explanation, and I see your point. My problem, however, is that new charges are never entered until after the payment is made - backwards, I know, but it is the way my “system”is set up.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Have you tried Copy & Validate? If not, see this page. Skip the Validate-only and go straight to "Copy your file and Validate" (and make a backup first).

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.