I am looking to convert from Quicken Cash Manager (Canadian Product) to a Canadian version on Starte

Questions: 
Can I run the Canadian Starter version on my MacBook Pro "windows environment"?

My files are on a PC so how do I transfer them over to Starter on my Mac Book Pro?

If I decide to end my subscription of Starter in one year will I still be able to continue to post transactions, do reconciliations and run reports?

Is the Starter version up gradable to Deluxe down the road? 

Thank you
Roy

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Roy,

I can answer that for you.

To be able to run the Windows program on the Mac book, you would need a special program to do so.

The Starter version becomes 'Read Only' and you will not be able to use the program manually.

The Starter version can be updated by purchasing the Deluxe version.

Hope this helps!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Thankyou Tyka. In the Canada Subscription FAQs , "What happens when my Quicken Membership ends." it states that " You will also be able to add manual accounts and transactions to your data file." Are you saying that only applies to the Deluxe version? 
    When you say that I would need to have a special program, do you mean Office 365? I have that now. If its not office 365 what program are you referring to? 
    The comparative products features states that data can be transferred automatically from previous versions of Quicken including Windows. How can I "automatically"  transfer data from Cash Manager on a separate PC to my Mac Book Pro?  
    thanks Tyka
    I am grateful for people like you who volunteer their time to help non techies like me. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Roy,

You will be able to continue to use the program manually on any of the programs above the Starter version.

You will always be able to view your data if you have the Starter version, but you won't be able to make changes or add accounts.

You can run the Mac version on the Mac computer and convert your windows data into the Mac version.

If you were wanting to run the Windows version on the Mac computer you would need a software like Parallels there's a couple different software's that do this.

Is that you what you were trying to do, or were you going to switch from Windows to the Mac version all together?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I was thinking of running in the so callled “ windows virtual environment” on my Mac. I understand the functionality of Quicken is much better there. I don’t know what functionality they were referring to so maybe I would be fine with the MAC version as I am I only interested in the expense recording, reconciliations, and reports related to that. Perhaps you know the answer. When I do decide I need to know how to get my data accross as I dont think it can be “ Automatic” .
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We have an FAQ with detailed steps on how to move the file to a different computer. You can find the link below!

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another

You can also contact support directly at https://www.quicken.com/support#osx and Customer Care can walk you through this process.

As for the decision to go with Mac or to stay with Windows; there are several discussions https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/windows-vs-mac on the community that go over the differences between the two I have included a link to one of the discussions.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    The file transfer process says up front the the Quicken program must be identical. I am assuming this process is intended for duplication on a second device in the household and not pc to mac with an upgraded Quicken program. Anyway I am sure the transfer to a storage device would likely be the same. So its then a matter of converting the files from pc to mac for restoration to the new Quicken program on the Mac.

The comparison of programs is a little unwieldy and fairly hi level. There is no details dealing with reconciliations or the creation of reports. There is also nothing in the discussions dealing with expense and income tracking. Everything seems centered on Investments and Banking. That may be an indication that there are no real issues that would impact me. They also state that there is 60 day return policy and I thought it was only 30days. Actually 30 days is a joke as the usual cycle for finances is 30 days. It would appear that the references are all dealing with US products and not Canadian . Thanks for all your support.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Roy,

One last thing, the 2018 product does have a 30 day money back guarantee.  The previous versions had 60 days, the article is a little dated in regards to that information. I will definitely relay that that information needs to be updated.

-Thanks!
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.