Kraft Food stock price - incorrect update

chasfm11 .
chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I have Quicken 2017 for Windows, the latest release and the mondo patch installed. 

I purchased Kraft/Heinz stock a few weeks ago.   When I run One Step Update in the evening, the daily price is correctly updated in Quicken.   If I run One Step Update the next morning,  all of the other stocks correctly show no changes.  The Kraft/Heinz stock shows a daily gain of 51% while the price/cost basis correctly show a loss for that stock.   I noticed it because it impacts the Net Worth number.  It took me a while to figure out that this stock was the culprit.

I don't understand the overnight update on just this stock.  The details about it were downloaded from my broker's website and all look correct.   I've checked all of the other stock prices in my Quicken portfolio and they are consistent with what my broker's website shows for each of them every day.

Is this something that I can fix?  If not,  can it be added to the "bug" list?

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hey chasfm111,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

What is the ticker symbol?

How many shares did you purchase?

Let me know so I can try to recreate the issue on my end.

-Thanks!
    ~~~***~~~
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Hey chasfm111,

-Thanks!

I'm not seeing this for my holding of KHC in Quicken. I'd check your price history table for a corrupted entry. Also, make sure you haven't combined an old Kraft ticker with the new Kraft Heinz ticker in Security list.
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Hey chasfm111,

-Thanks!

Thanks for your reply.  You win the internet today.   I had owned the original Kraft stock back a number of years and its history was in Quicken (my file goes back to 2002).   My new broker bought the Kraft Heinz stock but Quicken apparently used the previous history and the original Kraft Ticker.   When I tried to see that in formation in a Quicken view, the ticker symbol drop down was grayed out. 

I've edited the transactions and used the "Add Security" function to get Quicken to include  KHC.   We'll see what happens by tomorrow morning.  Since the price for KHC was correct, compared to my broker's website, I never gave an incorrect ticker a thought.  It still seems curious to me that the evening updates came up with a different answer than the morning ones but I'm satisfied if I just get the right answers.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Hey chasfm111,

-Thanks!

You may still need to de-link the old Kraft from the new Kraft to make it work. If you continue to have issues with your current holding at your broker (it should be tied to the newly added Kraft), you may need to uncheck the Matched with Online Security box in Security Details (for both versions of Kraft) and re-link it to new Kraft when prompted during your next One Step Update. That will ensure the new Kraft is tied to your current holding.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Hey chasfm111,

-Thanks!

My new broker bought the Kraft Heinz stock but Quicken apparently used the previous history and the original Kraft Ticker.  
    Just to review what should have happened assuming you are downloading transactions from your brokerage -- When a new security shows up in the download list from the brokerage (new name, new ticker, new CUSIP or some such combination), Quicken shows the user the new name and asks the user if this is the same as an existing (in Quicken file) security or is it a new security.  If Quicken sees a close match (like Kraft Foods and Kraft Heinz or two matching tickers), it will lead toward matching an existing security allowing the user to change away from that id appropriate.  If Quicken does not see a close match, the program will lead toward a new security allowing the user to change toward matching an existing.  If the user is too quick or misunderstands, a mismatch is easily created.  
    When I tried to see that information in a Quicken view, the ticker symbol drop down was grayed out.
    The only time I have had the ticker field not accessible has been when the security type field was set to "Bond".  Reasonable, since bonds don't have tickers.  I can't imagine that was the case for your Kraft holding, so I don't know what to think about that circumstance.  

When a match between a security in the Quicken file and the brokerage data is established, the Edit Security Details for the Quicken security will indicate it as "Matched with Online Security" and the CUSIP number is recorded for that security in the Quicken file.   
This discussion has been closed.