10 stocks have lost their historic prices

Options
Debra Clark
Debra Clark Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
A few stocks in my portfolio lost all their historic pricing.  Humorously Intuit is one of them.  In all there are under 10.  I have tried manually entering prices and running the download from various locations.  I can't load anything for before 3-14-18. I enter pricing information and leave the screen and it doesn't save.  If I change the Investment screen to 12-31-17 and try to enter a price to value the entire lot, it also won't save. I have these tiny gray clocks on the lines without historic pricing.

Buys and sells have retained their pricing.  But historic Investment summaries show $0 in value which makes comparisons impossible.

I am running Quicken 2016 for Windows Rental Property Manager R14.12

Comments

• Debra Clark
    Debra Clark Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    As an addendum, if I copy my file I have the same problem.  If I then run validate and delete historic pricing, the last 5 years DO get put back  for all stocks including the ones with just a few days of historic data.  But I don't want to do that since I compare back to 1995 on occasion and that is over 20 years of pricing history.   The validate fix only retrieves the last 5 years. Is there anyway to dump the pricing table and upload it again?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

As an addendum, if I copy my file I have the same problem.  If I then run validate and delete historic pricing, the last 5 years DO get put back  for all stocks including the ones with just a few days of historic data.  But I don't want to do that since I compare back to 1995 on occasion and that is over 20 years of pricing history.   The validate fix only retrieves the last 5 years. Is there anyway to dump the pricing table and upload it again?

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/would-like-to-extract-price-history-for-all-stoc...
  • Catherine Shenoy
    Catherine Shenoy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’ve been having similar issues with different securities.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    For my QW2017, I am not seeing any lost prices among about 100 securities, though my review at this point is rather cursory.

My Intuit pricing is back in 2013 and prior; don't see any issues there, but it is not in my current Download Quotes list.  Would you list out the other nine so that if by chance I am tracking them we could have a direct comparison.  

I have noted one other recent posting about a similar lost price issue with one security, QREARX, so there may be some hidden issues involved.  

To recover from the loss due to the "Delete Historic Prices", I suggest you restore a backup.  You should fine a copy of that pre-validate data in the VALIDATE folder.  

There are some ways to rebuild that lost data from the unknown cause, but again a restore from just before that loss would be your best bet.  If you can identify very roughly how many total securities you have in your Quicken file, that you need to recover 10 out of ____, that may impact suggestions for approaches other than a restore.    
  • Debra Clark
    Debra Clark Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I believe the problem occurred when Quicken upgraded to the latest patch right before I left on vacation on 3-6.  I restored the 3-5 backup I made before I left on vacation and everything is there and fine.  So this can be closed.  q.lurker had the best suggestion of restoring since I really hadn't done anything in the file since my return except online updates.  I am still ( from a curiosity perspective) interested in why 10 of roughly 100 securities lost all historical data and obviously had some sort of corruption since I couldn't do a manual input of data.

Thank you for all of your suggestions- I am going to examine a few files from the corrupted DB tomorrow.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I believe the problem occurred when Quicken upgraded to the latest patch right before I left on vacation on 3-6.  I restored the 3-5 backup I made before I left on vacation and everything is there and fine.  So this can be closed.  q.lurker had the best suggestion of restoring since I really hadn't done anything in the file since my return except online updates.  I am still ( from a curiosity perspective) interested in why 10 of roughly 100 securities lost all historical data and obviously had some sort of corruption since I couldn't do a manual input of data.

Thank you for all of your suggestions- I am going to examine a few files from the corrupted DB tomorrow.

Immediately after the restore, I'd try the update again, to see of the issue was a one-time glitch, or something recurring.  Hopefully, a one-timer.
  • Debra Clark
    Debra Clark Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

I had to do an update to pull in the March prices.  It pulled them in fine and didn't lose the old ones either.  Also the credit card and bank transactions appear to also all be there to match up... again.... I think it was the patch from 14.11 to 14.12 that did the corruption.  What clued me in was the portfolio by value graph... It was showing a huge gain from December to now... and we all know the market dropped!  Thanks for the restore suggestion.  In over 20 years I have never had to do one so I just didn't think of it! Dumb...
This discussion has been closed.