Balance column appearing but not calculating correctly

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Balance column on an investment account disappeared. When I reset it up, a series of "sells" in Sept. 2017 are having no effect on the balance totals. A transfer out transaction is affecting the balance.  I am sorting by date as I always have. I have tried reclicking on the "date" heading to no avail. I am using Quicken 18 deluxe 5.5.6 for MAC.

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello suebernard,

Pictures speak louder than words.

Can you please provide us with a screen shot of the issue?

Mac Snapshot Tool Help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3869336

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Check your investment account register for Placeholder transactions and resolve them to fix this problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thank you Quicken Harold and UKR for your fast responses.  The initial download for this account included holdings without a cost attached because they were already in existence.  I have added cost data for these accounts per UKR suggestion.  The "balance" column still does not reflect the "sells". I have a screenshot for you attached.image
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Suebernard,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty. 

How where the sell transactions entered? Where they entered by hand or converted from an older version?

Let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    These transactions occurred in Sept. 17.  They were downloaded into whatever Quicken17 version was out there at the time.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Thank you Quicken Harold and UKR for your fast responses.  The initial download for this account included holdings without a cost attached because they were already in existence.  I have added cost data for these accounts per UKR suggestion.  The "balance" column still does not reflect the "sells". I have a screenshot for you attached.image

Check the register for an Opening Balance or Balance Adjustment transaction in gray font. These automatic transactions will force a fixed balance as of a certain date, likely the date the account was imported.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for answering that!

First, save a back up and make a note of the values in these sell transactions.

Try deleting these transactions and reentering them.

Let me know if this has any affect. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

There is no such transaction.  The first transaction you see above is the first transaction on the register.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

The account register as shown in your image is sorted by Date in descending order, newest transaction from a few days ago on the top.
    Therefore, the "first transaction" or should I say, the oldest transaction, is at the very bottom of the register and may not be shown in your image.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

Actually, it is shown in my image.  At the bottom is the very first transaction.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Here is an interesting bit of additional information:  I just updated a beta version I am testing.  I don't think I am violating the NDA by telling you that in the beta this transaction screen is 100% correct, with the sells affecting the balance and the correct ending balance of zero.  I am thinking maybe what I need to to in my production version is delete the account and re-download.  But this doesn't explain why there is this problem in my production version. Is it a bug?

Any opinions on the above will be appreciated.  Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    UPDATE:  I deleted the account, re-set it up and downloaded.  I ended up with the exact same problem as before, the sells are not affecting the balance account.  Also, an additional problem, I am no longer given the option to record a payment transaction.  The balance column shows all zeroes.

Quicken Tyka, I tried your suggestion of selecting one of the "sells" and entering it manually.  Still didn't affect the balance column.

Now I wonder if the problem has to do with Quicken getting a digital message from TIAA that the account does not run a balance.  As far as the Beta version being correct, scratch that, it was apples and oranges .  I think I will bite the bullet and call Quicken Help unless there is another suggestion out there.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018

UPDATE:  I deleted the account, re-set it up and downloaded.  I ended up with the exact same problem as before, the sells are not affecting the balance account.  Also, an additional problem, I am no longer given the option to record a payment transaction.  The balance column shows all zeroes.

Quicken Tyka, I tried your suggestion of selecting one of the "sells" and entering it manually.  Still didn't affect the balance column.

Now I wonder if the problem has to do with Quicken getting a digital message from TIAA that the account does not run a balance.  As far as the Beta version being correct, scratch that, it was apples and oranges .  I think I will bite the bullet and call Quicken Help unless there is another suggestion out there.

Check the account settings and see if you see a checkbox indicating the account is "single mutual fund". If so, backup your file, then uncheck the box and accept the warnings.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

Hooray!  When I looked carefully at accounting settings, there was a box checked that said account has no cash balances (or something like that).  I have never noticed it before.  I unchecked the box and lo and behold, the balance column is now correct.  Problem solved, lesson learned.  Thanks to all for your excellent help.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018

Great! Glad we got it figured out. Sorry it took me so long to realize that was the issue.

By way of some explanation... Single Mutual Fund is a mode for certain accounts that can only hold a mutual fund but not cash. It is kind of a hidden mode triggered when the account is set up based on what the FI tells Quicken. In this mode, cash transfers into the account automatically become Buys and downloaded Buy transactions result in hidden transfers. I'm not sure how your TIAA account got set up this way since it's clearly not SMF. Fortunately, there's a way to manually override the SMF mode, and you found it.
This discussion has been closed.