Dividends reinvested tracking issue

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Mac)
When importing transactions from Fidelity, something sporadic is happening.  When a dividend is posted and that dividend is reinvested, some events have begun showing just one transaction:  “Reinvest Dividend”.  While others show two transactions:  “Dividend Income” and “Buy.”  The latter is my preference, because my reports capture “Dividend Income” as income.  The former is new and is not being used for all transactions and I can not include these in my income reports.  This is messing up my reports.  

Fidelity lists dividends as two transaction, my preference, even for those transactions that Quicken lists as one transaction.  Here is an example of my issue:

These are examples of the Fidelity transactions in question:

Note the following inconsistency as to how Quicken posts these same four transactions:

Can you fix this so that all transactions are listed, vs the sporadic one entry?

I am using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, Version 5.5.6 (Build 55.21629.100).  My iMac OS is High Sierra, Ver. 10.13.3.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Is "Fidelity Investments Mac" the name of the FI you are connecting to? (You can check it in the account's settings.)

This is very interesting. I have several Fidelity accounts and have not seen any dividend reinvestments come through as a single transactions. Although, I have not had any dividends in my accounts that automatically reinvest since the end of last month. I'll have to watch and see what happens to those for the end of this month.

I will say that this is probably not something that Quicken is doing, but rather how Fidelity is transmitting the transactions via Direct Connect (even though they don't show that way on the Fidelity website). You may want to give Fidelity a call and ask their web support team if they know what's going on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    RickO said:

Is "Fidelity Investments Mac" the name of the FI you are connecting to? (You can check it in the account's settings.)

This is very interesting. I have several Fidelity accounts and have not seen any dividend reinvestments come through as a single transactions. Although, I have not had any dividends in my accounts that automatically reinvest since the end of last month. I'll have to watch and see what happens to those for the end of this month.

I will say that this is probably not something that Quicken is doing, but rather how Fidelity is transmitting the transactions via Direct Connect (even though they don't show that way on the Fidelity website). You may want to give Fidelity a call and ask their web support team if they know what's going on.

Yes, I am using "Fidelity Investments Mac".  This was never an issue before approximately March 27.  Keep an eye on your dividends, RickO, and let me know if you see the same thing.  Thanks for your quick response.    --Mike
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    RickO said:

I just checked in with Fidelity Web Support, and they assured me that the problem is not at their end, that nothing has changed at their end..that it's a known issue for Windows users.  So, it sounds like Quicken is doing something to combine dividends that are reinvested into one entry, messing up our reports.   Quicken:  can you fix this?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    You're talking about Fidelity, but then your showing Vanguard as the mutual fund in the second screenshot.

Vanguard will download ONE transaction for reinvested dividends.

I'm assuming that Fidelity downloads TWO transactions (dividend and a buy) for their reinvested dividends.

Unfortunately, how the transactions download is controlled by the financial institution.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In my experience with Fidelity (40+ years), a ReinvDiv will come thru if ONLY a dividend is being paid.

If a Cap Gain Long/short and a Div are being paid at the same time, they'll come in as separate transactions with a BUY to cover all of the cash received.

A ReinvDiv IS recorded as income in Q's built-in reports..  I'd suggest that you expand the eligible actions of your customized report to include this action.

Your only other choice is to delete the ReinvDiv transaction and add to replacement transactions manually.

Lastly, it's Fidelity, not Q, that creates the downloaded transactions.  Take a look in your OFXLog to see what Fido actually sent.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    edited March 2018

You're talking about Fidelity, but then your showing Vanguard as the mutual fund in the second screenshot.

I'm assuming that Fidelity downloads TWO transactions (dividend and a buy) for their reinvested dividends.

Unfortunately, how the transactions download is controlled by the financial institution.  

GoHawks... He has a Vanguard fund as a holding within his Fidelity brokerage account. The transaction download and reporting is controlled by the account institution, Fidelity in this case. Also note that it's the iShares transaction that got combined, not the Vanguard one.

I have some Vanguard funds in my Fidelity accounts and I have never seen the reinvest dividends download as one transaction (although I haven't had any yet this month). 

So it seems that something has changed somewhere. Notwithstanding what the Fidelity rep told Mike, I still thinking it's more likely to be on Fidelity's end.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Mike, I just noticed that in your register screenshot, the iShares reinvest div transaction was downloaded, but the Vanguard div income transaction appears to have been manually entered. (Can't tell about the Vanguard buy transaction since its status icon is cleared.) Can you explain what's going on with that?
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    Mike, one more thing... If you go to folder ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Logs you can pull a copy of the OFX log file. This file contains a record of what was sent during the connection. The bad news is it's hard to decipher.

But, if you search up from the bottom for "iShares", copy that line, and then search the line for "Memo", you may be able to determine exactly what was transmitted from Fidelity.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018

In my experience with Fidelity (40+ years), a ReinvDiv will come thru if ONLY a dividend is being paid.

If a Cap Gain Long/short and a Div are being paid at the same time, they'll come in as separate transactions with a BUY to cover all of the cash received.

A ReinvDiv IS recorded as income in Q's built-in reports..  I'd suggest that you expand the eligible actions of your customized report to include this action.

Your only other choice is to delete the ReinvDiv transaction and add to replacement transactions manually.

Lastly, it's Fidelity, not Q, that creates the downloaded transactions.  Take a look in your OFXLog to see what Fido actually sent.

Interesting. I've been doing Fidelity for a long time too, and have never seen a reinvdiv transaction come through, even when the div/buy pair is the only thing downloaded. Always separate div and buy transactions. Just searched my registers and there's not a single reinvest there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

RickO, you are correct.  I have several funds from Vanguard and other institutions, held within my Fidelity Portfolio, that have never had issues like this.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

NotACPA:  it fixed it!  For the Mac product, I added the categories  for "Reinvest Dividends" (and cap gains, and interest), and my report now includes these transactions.  Something clearly changed, but you advice to expand the criteria for the report worked.  Thank you.  RickO, keep this in mind if you start seeing the issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    RickO said:

Mike, I just noticed that in your register screenshot, the iShares reinvest div transaction was downloaded, but the Vanguard div income transaction appears to have been manually entered. (Can't tell about the Vanguard buy transaction since its status icon is cleared.) Can you explain what's going on with that?

Yes, I realized it after I posted this, that I had chosen a bad example...this was the first time it had happened, and, thinking it was an anomaly, I had manually made the change so my reports would be correct.   I had forgotten I had done that!  lol    Anyway, I think NotACPA's suggestion worked just fine.  I'll keep an eye on it to confirm.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Very interesting. I've been using Q for 11 yrs, and FID for much longer than that. During that time, I've had (and have) many, many funds with auto dividend reinvest, and they've ONLY come into Q as a single div/reinvest transaction. OTOH, Merrill Lynch ONLY sends reinvests as 3 separate transactions: Div/Withdraw Cash/Add Shares. Personally, I prefer the way Fidelity does it. Much less bloat in the database.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Here's just a few (very few) of the hundreds of Reinv txn in my taxable brokerage acct at Fido.

And here's some in my IRA Brokerage acct:

And from a mutual fund only IRA account:

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    edited March 2018

This could be a Windows vs Mac thing. Yeah, I know, you're thinking it couldn't depend on the platform because it's what Fidelity sends that matters. 

But... Fidelity could be looking at the platform of the connecting Quicken client and sending the transaction data differently based on that. It would seem odd, but I suppose it's possible.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

s'pose its possible. i'm on windows. RickO, you're on Mac?
  • RickO
    edited March 2018

yes
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018

Similar situation ; I have some Vanguard Funds being held under WF Advisors, the transactions download like Fidelity, the direct Vanguard downloads show up reinvested. Concur the Fi controls how the transactions are downloaded into QM
This discussion has been closed.