This discussion was created from comments split from:

Student Loan Details

5 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Would a student loan in deferment not have a fixed length with just the starting date for payments being variable?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Only if you are using the standard repayment option. If you use any of the income-driven-payment options then it gets more complicated. It would be nice for student loans to have the ability to leave that field blank. This is especially true while still in school while the loans are deferred.

Also there is no option to put in the payment as $0 while in school. There should be a tick box added that you can check if the loans are in deferment or not. Otherwise, it forces you to create a reminder for the payments automatically even if they are deferred.

For people like me, who were in college for nearly 10 years pursuing a PhD, it would be nice if these features were included. Otherwise, don’t bother having a drop down menu where you can select loan type as student loan. What is the point if it doesn’t modify the options for setting it up in Quicken?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    The issue I'm having is with the monthly payment. I can't get past the loan details because it says my payment is less than the interest accrued monthly but I'm using an income based repayment and a lot of times that is the case.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Was this ever resolved? I'm trying to set up accounts for my student loans and am having the same problems in setting up the payment details. I am on an income-driven payment plan and part of a loan forgiveness program. As a result, my required monthly payments are below Quicken's payment threshold. 

I accepted the minimum payment required by Quicken to create the account. But there is no way to change the payment amount or account for things that impact the interest accrual and principal balance (e.g., impact of in-school deferrals on the payment schedule, whether interest is accrued during the grace period, adjusted payment programs). Entering student loans as a loan account seems to be a waste of time and energy as there is no way to customize payments, set up accurate payment reminders or an accurate estimate of the balance. Although, if any one has found a workaround, please let us know.

So far the upgrade to 2018 Quicken has been a disappointment. Student loans, particularly Federal loans, do NOT work like mortgages or auto loans. The ability to differentiate between types of loans sounds like a great feature; however, the student loan type is meaningless right now.   
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Was this ever resolved? I'm trying to set up accounts for my student loans and am having the same problems in setting up the payment details. I am on an income-driven payment plan and part of a loan forgiveness program. As a result, my required monthly payments are below Quicken's payment threshold. 

I accepted the minimum payment required by Quicken to create the account. But there is no way to change the payment amount or account for things that impact the interest accrual and principal balance (e.g., impact of in-school deferrals on the payment schedule, whether interest is accrued during the grace period, adjusted payment programs). Entering student loans as a loan account seems to be a waste of time and energy as there is no way to customize payments, set up accurate payment reminders or an accurate estimate of the balance. Although, if any one has found a workaround, please let us know.

So far the upgrade to 2018 Quicken has been a disappointment. Student loans, particularly Federal loans, do NOT work like mortgages or auto loans. The ability to differentiate between types of loans sounds like a great feature; however, the student loan type is meaningless right now.   

kbb, which version did you upgrade from? Did that version handle student loans better than 2018?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm in agreement here.  Quicken's approach to student loans is clunky at best.  As has been stated previously, many of the repayment plans offered are income-based.  This means that the amount of the payment fluctuates based on a student's income. . . and it often means that most of that payment is headed to interest with little towards the principal.
    Plus, for students under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, the principal is forgiven after 10 years of payments have been made.  It would be nice to be able to track this, but Quicken does not seem to register a payment unless it includes some contribution towards the principal.
    Quicken is far too rigid in requiring a payment to consist of both a principal contribution and an interest contribution.  Plus, capitalization of student interest while the loan is in deferment could be better, too.
  • kuwayamad
    kuwayamad Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I agree with everyone on this thread.  The loan module is too rigid.  As best I can tell, there is no way to record capitalized interest without Quicken interpreting it as a negative principal payment.  Even if one makes a split transaction into the loan account with the first line (principal) being 0, the second line (interest) being 0, the third line (extra principal) being 0, and the fourth line recording the capitalized balance adjustment total, Quicken still interprets it as a negative principal payment.  This makes tracking total lifetime principal payments in the Property and Debt module inaccurate.
    Hopefully Quicken coders will make the loan module more flexible in future versions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Loan Wizard" is for traditional, monthly-interest loans only.  It doesn't work for other loans because the interest upon them is dependent upon when the lender RECEIVES your payment for the prior month.
    The best way to deal with other loan types is to consider your splits in the monthly payment to be an estimate ... and then correct the estimate when you get the next statement.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Community supports voting on discussions marked as Ideas (like this one).

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.

Every vote counts!

• BassMan
    BassMan Member ✭✭
    I agree that even trying to do student loans with a standard repayment process via FedLoan does not work in Quicken Deluxe R18.16 build 27.1.18.15.  FedLoan uses daily interest accruals, so even though I have a set monthly payment for each loan (I have three loans with capitalized interest), Quicken never matches the interest assessed by FedLoan.   I can't get Quicken to even match the FedLoan payment amount.
    I make one Fedloan payment per month and need to allocate the fixed payments to three different loan amounts with different interest rates per loan, calculated on the daily interest formula.  How can Quicken help on this?
  • jswurr
    jswurr Member
    edited November 2020
    I tried to use the "Up" vote above but it won't respond. [Removed-Violation of Community Gudielines]
  • Papa T
    Papa T Member
    I too wish Quicken would do something to fix this, it is very painstaking trying to deal with Student Loans and having to go back and manually adjust your payments after they occur. Isn't that what we bought Quicken to do?
  • ZenCatVet
    ZenCatVet Member

The COVID grace period is coming to an end and I can't make my student loan payment information match reality.

Quicken has had three plus years to address these issues, but nothing has been done.