Conversion from Quicken Premier Windows 2018 to Premier Mac 2018 - worked but many balances don't ma

Don Awalt
Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
Today I tried to move to the Mac version of Quicken Premier 2018, from Windows Premier 2018. Both software were on the latest versions. My Windows file checked out fine from integrity check, and its transactions go back to 2004.

The error log file was clean! As I recall the only error was 3 or 4 categories did not get created because they already existed - must have been stock categories. 

However, balances did not match. I have 21 mutual funds, 9 had matching balances, 12 did not - and they were off by a LOT - 60%, 80% off. I have 4 credit cards and 2 bank accounts, they matched perfectly! I also have a portfolio of stocks at Ameritrade, and their balance was perfect as well. So it was only the 12 mutuals funds that did not match.

I started looking around, and it was a little overwhelming. I notice the Mac version did not have the Performance report I use in Windows so I can see all the pertinent details. Ion the Windows side also I can see account value and associated cash value, I did not see any cash value being reported at all. On one account I was looking at that was significantly off, as of today the number of shares in the register matched! So it could only be a discrepancy in price or a cash balance (which there should have been a balance of $0.00) I think? Because I didn't have a performance report I really couldn't figure out how the Mac version arrived at the value it was reporting.

One transaction problem I did notice - there was a transaction (maybe more exist?), were what was a "BoughtX" transaction, buying using funds from another fund, was converted to a "Buy". There was no transfer account listed. This would certainly mess up balances.

Another problem I noticed - I had a small file I was playing around with first - then I decided that I wanted to attempt the convert my Windows file (a copy of it actually) - so I did "File Open...", as I do on the Windows side to go between files. Well, it converted, but it put all the converted accounts into the file that was already open! As I had been experimenting around with downloads of my accounts, I had a number of double account entries. It was a mess.

That's all I have seen for now. I am not sure how much further I can go as my file has something like 60,000 transactions, it's overwhelming to sift through and see what problems exist.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Issue 1: BuyX and SellX transfers don't convert.  That's a known issue and requires manual editing.

Issue 2: For your test file, you need to create a new file in Quicken Mac, make sure it's the "active" file and then import.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks - are there other known problems in conversion, and will these be fixed? With 14 years of transactions to sift through it's probably not practical I can use this conversion, so I could stay on Windows and wait for bug fixes if they are planned...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Don Awalt said:

Thanks - are there other known problems in conversion, and will these be fixed? With 14 years of transactions to sift through it's probably not practical I can use this conversion, so I could stay on Windows and wait for bug fixes if they are planned...

I had transactions dating back to 1990 from my Quicken Windows file.

Converting my data file to Quicken Mac was a laborious process.  

Eventually, I just gave up with the investment accounts and downloaded what I could from the financial institutions (usually 18 months) and added Shares Added transactions at the beginning to account for the balance of shares.

This of course messes up all transfers from your banking registers...which certainly isn't ideal.

Not even close to a perfect solution...but it seems to work for me...albeit certainly not the way I expected it to.  

There has been a post by one of the Quicken Mac superusers on here that details what gets converted and what doesn't from Quicken Mac...and the procedures you need to do prior to converting.

I hope the superuser who posted that can link you to it.

And if it makes sense to start over, then just delete your accounts in Quicken Mac and reconvert the data file AFTER completing the recommendations. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Don,

Here is the link for the steps to complete prior to converting https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016.

I would describe the Mac and Windows platforms as being different, unfortunately the conversion process isn't going to be smooth.

I would recommend adding a balance adjustment to the accounts that are incorrect or starting over from the beginning of the year versus going through the entire file and trying to correct the discrepancies.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.