A stock has a "mandatory name change". How do I enter this? QM2018

RCinNJ
RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a proper way to handle this with QM2018 without losing the link to the original purchase and dividends (perhaps using Add Shares)? On 4/10/18 one of my stocks at TD Ameritrade had two transactions labeled "Mandatory- Name Change". On further checking I see a change in symbol for the stock and I believe the transactions are for the removal of one lot with the original symbol and the other is for adding back the shares with the new symbol. 

The way QM2018 recorded the two transactions it lost the cost basis. One transaction is for "Remove Shares" and the other is for "Add Shares". 

One kludge would be to remove these two transactions and adjust the symbol name manually. Is there a more "correct" solution?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Sounds like a good solution to me.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree with you and RickO. Just edit the security and change both the name and the symbol. You may end up with two securities with the same name. If that happens, you can merge those two securities. Just be sure you pick the correct security to maintain. If your not sure which to keep, change the name ol the one you want to remove by adding a character or two to the end of its name.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I agree, too. It’s unfortunate that Quicken does the Remove and Add so easily, and wipes out a cost basis. Though if you’re downloading it’s following what technically happens usually (an exchange of shares).
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You could edit the add shares dialog to include the cost and date purchased.

It is my experiance that TD Ameritrade may have problems tracking the cost basis through the name change as well. I would suggest checking Gainskeeper at the end of the month and calling to have it corrected if needed. Simpler to take care of it now instead of when you are looking at incorrect information on a 1099 after you sell the shares.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I agree, too. It’s unfortunate that Quicken does the Remove and Add so easily, and wipes out a cost basis. Though if you’re downloading it’s following what technically happens usually (an exchange of shares).

Yes, QM is just following what TDA is doing. I just wish there was an easy way to direct QM back to the original so it keeps it's history of dividends, etc. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    cneal said:

You could edit the add shares dialog to include the cost and date purchased.

It is my experiance that TD Ameritrade may have problems tracking the cost basis through the name change as well. I would suggest checking Gainskeeper at the end of the month and calling to have it corrected if needed. Simpler to take care of it now instead of when you are looking at incorrect information on a 1099 after you sell the shares.

Yes, TDA doesn't seem to "play nice". Thanks for the suggestion about Gainskeeper. I'm leaning towards just deleting the change transactions since that will, I think, keep it's history without my having to recreate it.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Note: I thought I solved the problem but turns out I was wrong. I submitted it so some of you might have seen my prior post which I am now editing. I tried to merge the securities as shown below. On closer inspection QM didn't appear to do what I thought it said it would do. Before merging, in the Securities window the stock was there with the same name but with both the old and the new symbol. I was able to merge them and QM said it would keep the price history, but apparently it didn't keep the dividend history!!! I'm closing down QM and restoring from yesterday's back up.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I think I've got it now. I had removed the name change transactions before merging. I went back and merged first then removed the change transactions and it seems to be OK. I still don't know how to keep those transactions and have it work.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    BruceG said:

I agree with you and RickO. Just edit the security and change both the name and the symbol. You may end up with two securities with the same name. If that happens, you can merge those two securities. Just be sure you pick the correct security to maintain. If your not sure which to keep, change the name ol the one you want to remove by adding a character or two to the end of its name.

Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. More detail below for future users who experience this and search the forum.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For those reading this thread who happen to use QWin, the preferred solution would be a "Corporate Acquisition" with a 1:1 ratio.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

For those reading this thread who happen to use QWin, the preferred solution would be a "Corporate Acquisition" with a 1:1 ratio.

Thanks for confirming that there is a better way that QM could adopt.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Wow, this exists?!? Another function that would be great for QM to adopt so we don’t have to jump through hoops.
This discussion has been closed.