Inconsistent download of Reinvested Dividend transactions?

Najmi
Najmi Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Mac)
I am running QM18. I have accounts with Schwab and Vanguard, both Direct Connect.  The treatment (or merging) of Reinvested Dividends is inconsistent for both.  On occasion, the deposit of the dividend and the subsequent buy are either correctly treated as two separate Dividend Income/Buy transactions or merged into a single Reinvest Dividend transaction. However randomly, it keeps the dividend deposit transaction and then treats the subsequent buy as a Reinvest Dividend, resulting in an incorrect cash balance. Is there any way to resolve this? I have not been able to detect a pattern. Is it possible to turn off this merging that it attempts and simply download the transactions as deposit/buy only? 

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Najmi,

Sorry you're experiencing this difficulty.

I would compare these transactions to how they are listed on the financial institution's website.

Investment accounts connect using the Direct Connect Method.

This means that the information is coming straight from them into Quicken.

I would see how these transactions are being reported.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    To make sure I understand - Quicken does NOT do any processing of the transactions - that is, it does not try to recognize that a buy has an existing Dividend Income transaction of exactly the same amount and merge them together into a single Reinvest Dividend transaction?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    Najmi said:

To make sure I understand - Quicken does NOT do any processing of the transactions - that is, it does not try to recognize that a buy has an existing Dividend Income transaction of exactly the same amount and merge them together into a single Reinvest Dividend transaction?

If you like, you can click menu Help > Show Logs in Finder, then open the OFXLog.txt file with a text editor. You should be able to find the subject transaction/s to see exactly how the brokerage transmitted it/them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Najmi said:

Thanks, Rick. I will check these logs out.  
This discussion has been closed.