Quicken Home and Business

Do not buy quicken business. It is not a business program and after you realize it they will charge you $100 to convert your files .

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    There is a Home, Business, and Rental Property edition for business use. If you bought another edition, what led you to believe it was intended for business use?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    The business in home, business and rental property lead me to believe it was for business.  It is a 1 line accounting and does not reconcile properly at the end of the year.  Cost me hundreds to straighten out to do taxes.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

The business in home, business and rental property lead me to believe it was for business.  It is a 1 line accounting and does not reconcile properly at the end of the year.  Cost me hundreds to straighten out to do taxes.

What is 1 line accounting? Sounds like you had an improper set up.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Also, how is your business structured? It was created for Sole Proprietorships. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Its a partnership with no employees so when quicken said it would work I believed them.  It did not.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited May 2018
    Who is the "quicken" that said it would work?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    A customer rep I got when I was deciding to upgrade to Business home and properties or get Quickbooks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited May 2018
    And how do you get in touch with this "customer rep"? I ask because there are many fake Quicken "customer reps" out there.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think you need to add some detail here.  I'd suggest at least a few well-constructed sentences - maybe whole paragraphs - that explain exactly what happened here, what went wrong

I've never used the Business product, but given Quicken's original orientation as a "personal" product and the Business product's relatively low price compared to QuickBooks I'd expect it could fall short in some areas, e.g., I wouldn't expect Quicken Business to have a robust and full featured "inventory" function.  But Quicken is a complete accounting program that can, correctly used, do the accounting for less complex businesses.

Your statement that Quicken "is...1 line accounting" suggests to me that you never really understood the Quicken program and features.  "Back in the day" before computers, when accounting was done entirely on paper, there were systems styled as "one-write" accounting which were fairly limited in capability, and maybe that's what you had in mind, but Quicken certainly is a fully capable double entry accounting system. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Its a partnership with no employees so when quicken said it would work I believed them.  It did not.

If someone indicated to you that Q-HB&R would work WELL for a partnership, they didn't know what they were talking about.  I would say it CAN work, but as noted elsewhere, partnerships are not the model, sole proprietorships are.  Making it work for a partnership would require patience, understanding, workarounds, and external support (like Excel).  

It is also an area where I would not trust someone in 'sales' answering the phone.  Beyond the aspect of partnership vs sole proprietor, I suspect the Business users of Quicken are less than 10% of their market - maybe even 5%.  Don't have any figures to back that up, but the business side is clearly (to me) an add-on to catch or keep a few users rather than a major demographic target.  They just aren't putting major efforts into that area of programming.  

Sorry you got led astray.
This discussion has been closed.