Error in January reinvested dividend

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I own a bond fund in both a taxable and non-taxable account. The fund pays a dividend monthly, which I post as a reinvestment. There is no download; I post the transactions manually from the statements.

When I posted the January 2018 dividend reinvestments, the share balance did not change. Instead, it reduced an older lot, so the share balance stayed the same. This happened in both the taxable and non-taxable accounts. I tried posting it as a cash dividend with a subsequent purchase, but the same thing happened.

The February and March dividends recorded correctly. So did all reinvestments before January 2018. It is just that one month.

I finally gave up and just posted a free receive at the end of March to bring my share balance up to the statement balances. The amounts are not large, and my share balance is now correct, but I'd still like the transaction detail to be correct. I'm not sure if this is a one-off for January, or if it will reappear someday.

Quicken for Mac 2018 Build 56.22351.100.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm confused.  Because "Bonds" don't pay dividends ... they pay interest.  So what do you actually own?  What type of bond is it?

And, in each account, what "Investment Action" did you use to record those activities?
    And, in general, it's the tax attributes of the account, not the nature of the bond, that determines how it's recorded for tax purposes ... unless it's a Municipal-type "tax-free" bond ... but it's ill-advised to hole a tax-free bond in a tax-free account since you only get the single tax benefit.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I thought I was clear - it's a bond fund. It pays dividends.
    I've been recording this transaction now for a decade in Quicken. This is the first time it's gone off the rails. There is a bug in Quicken that needs to be fixed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    THIS POSTING IS ABOUT A BUG IN QUICKEN.
    Please don't respond to this posting about the nature of the transaction. Quicken doesn't have a way to report bugs so I'm posting it here. I don't want this conversation to get derailed from the issue of the bug.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It would help if you could post a screen shot of the Jan dividend transaction(s).  I think if it was a bug then it would do it every month.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Here's the taxable account which has less activity so it's easier to see what's happening:
    The "Remove shares" transaction was created by Quicken when I did the January dividend reinvestment. I did the "add shares" manually to reverse that.

Nothing unusual about the January dividend, Quicken just got weird with it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    And it created a similar entry in the non-taxable account:
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    volvogirl said:

It would help if you could post a screen shot of the Jan dividend transaction(s).  I think if it was a bug then it would do it every month.  

It's possible that a bug was introduced in the last version update. I doubt that Quicken reevaluates all transaction that were previously enter into an account.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ted C said:

Here's the taxable account which has less activity so it's easier to see what's happening:
    The "Remove shares" transaction was created by Quicken when I did the January dividend reinvestment. I did the "add shares" manually to reverse that.

Ted

Referring to your screenshot, the first transaction (Remove Shares) is a Placeholder. Note the faded font.
    Just delete this transaction and you should be ok - same for the non-taxable account.

Not sure why you got these Placeholders in a manual account. QMac is trying to "help us out" - but the subject of placeholders is not well documented.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Ted C said:

Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't think to just get rid of it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes, remove the first transaction in both accounts and you should be fine.  I have Vanguard Bond funds and haven't had this problem.  I have had some strange remove and add shares transactions which I have to manually deal with.
This discussion has been closed.