In Quicken for Mac 2018 version 5.6.2, is there a way to add and track employee stock options?

Joe13
Joe13 Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Investing (Mac)
Employee Stock Options

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Joe,

We need a bit more information to be able to help you.

Do the stock options have a ticker symbol, if not do you have the opening/closing price in order to create a price history for this transaction?

Are you struggling with managing the investment portion or do the funds for the employee stock option come out of the paycheck and you're trying to track that?

Let us know so we can assist you further!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Joe13
    Joe13 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Tyka,

Thanks for your prompt response to my question.  The stock that I am referring to is publicly traded on Nasdaq, so does have a ticker symbol.  The functionality that I, and I assume many others, would like to see would be as follows:  The grant date of the option, the vesting schedule, the grant strike price (which its the price at which the option holder is entitled to purchase shares once the option vests or partially vests -- this price is typically the market price on the date the options are granted.) and the market price for the security.  With this information, the option holder would be able to track the value of the option grant over time, and see it reflected in net worth calculations as the options vest and potential value is realized.  What I have just described here relates to what are known as Non Qualified Stock Options, which are the type of options that most employees entitled to equity are granted as a component of their overall compensation packages.  Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,

Joe
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Joe,

Thank you for thorough explanation of the situation.

Unfortunately, the Mac product doesn't handle options very well at this time.

There are a few lengthy discussions on the topic:

hhttps://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/q2018-mac-stock-

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/tracking-options-does-not-seem-to-work-at-all-in...

You can also add your vote to https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-capability-to-enter-stock-options-and-restri...

I don't have a workaround to offer unfortunately.

-Quicken Tyka 
    ~~~***~~~
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have used a workaround, which only addresses a VERY LIMITED scenario - essentially tracking options that are vested AND in the money. The benefit of this is that, for this scenario, you get the correct tracking of your net worth. It however, does not work if the stock price drops below the strike price and does not support a whole host of other things (vesting schedule, expiration, etc.), that a full options tracking capability would. 

So assume you have vested 100 shares of "ABC" at a strike price of $50.  In the portfolio account I enter an Add Shares transaction, at the date the shares vested, with the strike price as the cost basis. Then I enter a Payment/Deposit transaction to offset the strike price - in this case for -$5000. Therefore if the stock price of ABC is now $75, the portfolio shows a net $2500, which is the value of the vested options.  Clearly, if the price drops below the strike price, the portfolio would incorrectly show a net loss which is not the case, since you would simply not exercise the option. 
  • Joe13
    Joe13 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Najmi,

Thanks for your reply.  The approach you suggest is exactly what I have been doing to date.  Hopefully, there will be an update at some point that will make the process a bit more elegant!

Thanks again,

Joe
This discussion has been closed.