allocation in portfolio x-ray incorrect

Gordon Fleming
Gordon Fleming Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
quicken for windows 2018 r9.34 running in a windows 10 VMware partition on my mac

Allocation for all accounts in portfolio allocation report is 28% domestic bonds, 7% global bonds and 5% cash... approximately the 60/40 allocation I am shooting for. 

But portfolio x-ray report says only 10% bonds and a 'very aggressive' portfolio. I can't see what it is basing this erroneous number on.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Are you holding actual bonds as opposed to bond funds?  I don't believe the X-Ray tool handles specific bonds of defined interest rates and maturities.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Also the X-Ray analysis only considers securities that are included in Morningstar's database. For example, if you have funds in a 401k that are not publicly traded, they may be ignored in the analysis.

You might want to review the discussion here
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/q2017-windows-portfolio-x-ray-does-not-find-asse... 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gordon Fleming
    Gordon Fleming Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    q.lurker said:

Are you holding actual bonds as opposed to bond funds?  I don't believe the X-Ray tool handles specific bonds of defined interest rates and maturities.  

Thanks lurker. Specific bonds are a very small part of the portfolio (<1%). Almost all the fixed income is in publicly-traded bond and balanced mutual funds, bond ETFs, and money market funds.
  • Gordon Fleming
    Gordon Fleming Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Jim. I looked for something like the thread you pointed to but I failed to find it. Thanks for taking it easy on a newbie!

Interesting. The drop downs at the top showed ‘all accounts’ and ‘all securities’ but I noticed that the ‘top 10 underlying holdings all seemed to be coming from one or two accounts. So I reselected ‘all accounts’ and ‘all securities’ and refreshed the report, and things look much more reasonable now!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    One way you can get a feel for what is going on is to customize the securities in the X-Ray to include one "vanilla" fund which has a very straightforward allocation plus your other securities one or a few at a time to see what happens. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the X-ray and make sure the test security(s) have the correct percentage of the portfolio you have selected.

Fro example, if you have $10,000 of stock fund A and $20,000 of bond fund B, the analysis should show 33% stocks and 67% bonds and the fund percentages should be 33% and 67%. Or if fund B is 50-50 stocks and bonds, your overall allocation should show as 67% stocks and 33% bonds but at the bottom, fund B should still show as 67%.

That will tell you quickly if certain funds are being ignored or if M* has a weird allocation for them.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2018

Thanks Jim. I looked for something like the thread you pointed to but I failed to find it. Thanks for taking it easy on a newbie!

Interesting. The drop downs at the top showed ‘all accounts’ and ‘all securities’ but I noticed that the ‘top 10 underlying holdings all seemed to be coming from one or two accounts. So I reselected ‘all accounts’ and ‘all securities’ and refreshed the report, and things look much more reasonable now!

Aha! It has gotten better, but it looks like you may still need to re-select.
This discussion has been closed.