Is there a way delete old investment securities that were sold in prior years that you know longer h

Options
smfcpacfp
smfcpacfp Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I often sell covered call options against my stock positions.  Many have short lives and their names are unique.  For example I sold call options in JP Morgan today that expire this Friday.  Their name is Call (JPM) JP Morgan 7/13/18 $110.  After this Friday this security will cease to exist, and at the end of this year the profit/loss will be reported and that will be the end of it.  Yet it appears in the list of securities forever and can't be deleted as best I can tell.  I have hundreds, maybe thousands of these securities as I have been selling covered calls for decades.

Is there a way to get rid of them?

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Some people choose to add a dummy security and change old transactions to use that dummy security and then delete the expired options.  I just hide them when they expire so they don't show when entering new transactions.  I have around 4,000 securities but only a couple hundred not hidden and I have not encountered any problems.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You can disable quote downloads and hide securities so that they don't appear in the Security list any more but Quicken won't let you delete a security as long as there are any transactions that use it. 

The Security list is a view of the database table where the name, ticker, CUSIP nuimber (if any), asset class, etc are stored and if you could delete an entry there it would mess up the old transactions and historical reporting. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options

You can disable quote downloads and hide securities so that they don't appear in the Security list any more but Quicken won't let you delete a security as long as there are any transactions that use it. 

The Security list is a view of the database table where the name, ticker, CUSIP nuimber (if any), asset class, etc are stored and if you could delete an entry there it would mess up the old transactions and historical reporting. 

Just clarifying.  You can delete securities if there are no transactions associated w/ them.  So if you set up dummy security and change all option transaction to dummy security then you should be able to delete the options.  But that's a lot of work.  Easier to just hide them.
This discussion has been closed.