Inaccurate % Returns Portfolio View

Jim Hamren
Jim Hamren Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am running Quicken Premier 2018, Version R9.34, Build 27.1.9.34. I am noticing that for several mutual funds (but not all) that the Avg Annual Return % for 1, 3, and 5 years are identical to two decimal places. This is not possible. I have read in other posts to this forum that the problem may be with Quicken's quote provider. A number of those posts citing the same or similar problems are months old. Can a Quicken Representative please advise what they are doing to fix the problems?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In an Investing Portfolio view. The "Avg. Annual return" numbers are not coming from Quicken's quote provider, they are calculated based on your holdings in the funds.

The "Return (%)" numbers do come from the quote provider. 

If you have not held the fund for the entire period (1, 3, or 5 years) the Avg. annual return results are calculated based on the time you actually held the fund. That is the nature of how the underlying IRR calculation works.

Previous versions of Quicken would avoid this confusion by showing N/A in these columns if you did not hold the security at the beginning of the period.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim Hamren
    Jim Hamren Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

In an Investing Portfolio view. The "Avg. Annual return" numbers are not coming from Quicken's quote provider, they are calculated based on your holdings in the funds.

If you have not held the fund for the entire period (1, 3, or 5 years) the Avg. annual return results are calculated based on the time you actually held the fund. That is the nature of how the underlying IRR calculation works.

Previous versions of Quicken would avoid this confusion by showing N/A in these columns if you did not hold the security at the beginning of the period.

Ok, I see. And it's not just based on your holdings apparently, it's based on the holdings in the specific account. I consolidated a couple of accounts and it is for the shares moved that the "error" occurs.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

If you move securities between accounts, you must include both the source and destination accounts in the view or report and group by Security for the performance reporting for those securities to be correct.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.