Printing Portfolio Problem

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Quicken for Mac 2018 5.6.5.  When I save the Portfolio Value as a PDF so that I can later print it, the names of the securities disappear and are replaced by meaningless numbers.  Anybody have a fix?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    I am not seeing this on 5.6.5 (El Cap) or 5.7.1 (High Sierra)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    I'm not seeing this either (High Sierra). When you say "save...as PDF", are you doing that from the Print Dialog?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 and am not seeing this problem. In the Portfolio view you can actually use the Standard Print... from under the File menu or click on the Printer Icon at the upper right of the Portfolio view. I have tried them both and they seem to work as expected.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I also have High Sierra 10.13.6.  If I use either the printer icon or the standard Print from the file menu, everything is fine if I am trying to print the Portfolio Performance.  However, if I try to print Portfolio Value, the security names are replaced with numbers that mean nothing.  If when the print screen appears I elect save as PDF, wha will be printed is exactly the same, i.e., ok for Performance, no security names for Value.  Wierd.
  • RickO
    edited July 2018
    PeeGee said:

I also have High Sierra 10.13.6.  If I use either the printer icon or the standard Print from the file menu, everything is fine if I am trying to print the Portfolio Performance.  However, if I try to print Portfolio Value, the security names are replaced with numbers that mean nothing.  If when the print screen appears I elect save as PDF, wha will be printed is exactly the same, i.e., ok for Performance, no security names for Value.  Wierd.

What Group By setting are you using?

Have you changed the column setup for Portfolio Value? Is so, can you try to reset them to default and see if the problem persists?

If you export the page to CSV and open in Excel or Numbers, do you see the same problem there?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    The problem disappears when the columns are reset to default.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Further to last post, the problems with default setting remain (1) all transactions in every security are on the print layout, and (2) it is impossible to get all columns for a security on a single page.  I am somewhat astounded that a buyer would purchase Quicken from Intuit and not also buy the underlying software that made Quicken 2007 so user friendly.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    PeeGee said:

Further to last post, the problems with default setting remain (1) all transactions in every security are on the print layout, and (2) it is impossible to get all columns for a security on a single page.  I am somewhat astounded that a buyer would purchase Quicken from Intuit and not also buy the underlying software that made Quicken 2007 so user friendly.

PeeGee, the same people work on Quicken Mac now as did when it was owned by Intuit, and I'm sure they have the source code for Quicken 2007. The issue is that the code for Quicken 2007 is outdated and not easily ported to the modern macOS. This is particularly true with screen display and printed reports. It all has to be re-coded from scratch. That's why we're seeing slow improvement on the basic reports, like being able to control what columns appear. According to the product manager, they are currently working on the code to allow users to control what fits on a page, but the progress on that has been slower than expected. They're aware of the shortcomings, and they're working on it. In the meantime, however, we're stuck trying to come up with workable workarounds until they can build-in improved functionality.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited July 2018
    PeeGee said:

The problem disappears when the columns are reset to default.

Please use menu Help > Report a Problem to submit this issue to the developers, providing as much detail as possible.
This discussion has been closed.