sharing a data file between multiple devices

tmonico
tmonico Member ✭✭
I have read several threads on this topic and I think I understand all of the recommendations and limitations of Quicken.
I currently have Quicken installed on Laptop#1.  The quicken data file is local to that laptop.  I want to be able to have Laptop#2 have access to the quicken datafile to look at it only.  I do not want to do sharing per say.  If I move the quicken data file to a NAS device that is shared between the 2 laptops or make the current file on Laptop #1 shareable with LAPTOP#2 would that work? 

I would prefer to not use my wife's mobile phone to access the Quicken data file but if that is an option let me know.

Thx for your help and advice.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    have access to the quicken datafile to look at it only.
    Quicken doesn't have a "read-only" mode. Everything that was posted in all the threads you read, apply to your use.  As you are asking if you can put your data file on a network drive and access it from there.  The answer is it is possible, but not recommended.  Doing a back up/restore (or some other kind of copy) to the NAS would probably be your best bet.

On the use of a mobile phone.  I certainly wouldn't recommend it given the state of syncing to a mobile device, and it would only be a partial view of the data any ways since mobile doesn't have all the data or features of the Desktop version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Actually if I read "read-only" as "I don't mind if this copy of the data file gets corrupted" then you might do something like this:

Store official copy on one machine, and from there after updates:
    File -> Save a copy as ..,  save on NAS

On machine that is "read-only".
    Open the data file from your NAS (either with a UNC path or a mapped drive)

If the data file gets corrupted on the NAS it doesn't matter because you are just going to override it with the copy on "official local machine".
This discussion has been closed.