historical stock prices

Kevin Walsh
Kevin Walsh Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Is there a reason why stock prices for a stock seem to only have what appears to be random dates? For instance, a stock I own has a price in the "history" for Friday 7/27 and the next one was for Thursday 8/2.  I tried to the "rebuild history" to update all the missing dates but it stayed the same.  The issue is when reconciling the brokerage statement the broker use the month end price (in this case 7/31 a Tuesday) (I checked the stock traded heavily after 7/27 until then so the prices should be available. ) So unless I update them all manually I can't reconcile these statements very easily.  

So the question is; are stock quotes suppose to be for every day the stock is traded and if not is "rebuild history" meant to repopulate that?  Or how does one get "everyday stock quotes? 

Running QB for Mac 2018 ver. 5.7.2

thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The way the historical prices is that the older you ask for, the more spread out they are.
    Typical is something like for the most recent 30 or so days they are daily.
    Then they switch to weekly.
    After a year they switch to monthly.

This just how they come from the service provider.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    P.S.  Since Quicken has your buys/sells and they have the price at the time, these will also be added to your history when it is rebuilt.
  • Kevin Walsh
    Kevin Walsh Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    hmmm.  there actually is no way to ask for a specific date range when you request "rebuild history"  I tried to delete everything older than 2018 and I still get the same data.   I really need every day for at least the last 6 months. Wish there was a way....  thanks for the help...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

hmmm.  there actually is no way to ask for a specific date range when you request "rebuild history"  I tried to delete everything older than 2018 and I still get the same data.   I really need every day for at least the last 6 months. Wish there was a way....  thanks for the help...

I don't know the exact details for the Mac since I use Windows.  Even though the Windows version lets you select different time ranges for historical prices, it wouldn't get you any more data.

On the Windows version it is possible to import prices from an outside source as a CSV file.  I don't know if the Mac version has this feature.
  • Kevin Walsh
    Kevin Walsh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

It does allow a CSV import. And yes the MAC version is different than Windows which I just moved from. Didn’t have this issue there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

You most likely didn't have the problem on Windows because you never rebuilt the price history.  It certainly works the same way on Quicken Windows because the service provider for the quotes is the same, and you can't get more prices than are provided no matter what time range you select.

I was not remembering the exact time range correctly, it is in fact 3 months of daily.
    Here is Intel when selecting "Year".

Notice in June is switches to weekly.

Also the "time ranges" are "Five Days", Month, Year, 2 Years, and 5 Years.  So there isn't a way to say select a month in last year and get its daily prices.

This is a common comment/complaint on the Windows side when people have to rebuild their price histories.  What is usually a saving grace though is on the Windows side there are ways to export the old prices information and import it back into a new/rebuilt price history.
  • Kevin Walsh
    Kevin Walsh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Unfortunately not avail on the Mac version
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

Kevin, is this just selected investments that aren't gathering prices every day, or all your investments? I assume you've clicked the little circle with the arrow to get Quicken to download accounts, right? (Have you tried this in the Price History window of a specific account that's missing recent data?) As @QPW explains above, downloading daily data from 5 or 6 months ago may not be possible, but you're saying very recent info is missing, and that should download automatically or on demand. (In Quicken Preferences, do you have Investment Quotes checked to automatically download when you launch Quicken?)

Assuming that's no help so far, let me ask: do you have a large number of investments? If it's not too many, you may not find it too time-consuming to enter month-end values manually if you need to. Here's how...

In the left sidebar, select the account you want to reconcile. You should be on the Portfolio tab in the upper left (above the graph) and to the right, set the "Price and Holdings as of" date to the last date of the month. Under the graph, set the filters to show Portfolio Value and Group by Security. In the old Quicken 2007, you could enter a price right in the invent portfolio window, but that doesn't exist in the current Quicken Mac. (Yet. Click here for a thread where you can click the blue VOTE button at the top of the screen to request this functionality fro the developers.) In Quicken Mac now, you can achieve the result by clicking on the Security name, clicking Edit security in the window that ops up, then clicking Price History in the next pane that opens. Then type the month-end date, tab twice to the the closing price field, type the closing price of of the security on that date (from your statement), and click Add, then Done. That sounds like a lot of steps, but once you've done it a few times, I've found it becomes pretty quick. And it lets you reconcile your accounts with your brokerage statements. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Kevin Walsh
    Kevin Walsh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Its all the investments.  Pricing is fairly sporadic on dates missing a lot of actual trade dates.

I have used the rebuild history and even deleted old prices for previous years but to no avail. Still has limited prices when done. 

I do know how to manually add prices but I'm looking at 20 securities each month and you are right in Quicken for Windows its way easier. 

Thanks for the advice. 
This discussion has been closed.