QMac 2017: Quicken 2000 to Quicken for Mac 2017

Unknown
Unknown Member
Due to a hardware failure, I am upgrading from Quicken 2000 Deluxe to Quicken for Mac.  Should I even bother trying to migrate my data from an external hard drive, or should I just start over?  Haven't done anything with 2000 except balance my checkbook for the last 17 years.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    That of course is purely up to you, but I will tell you this, you are going to need a Windows machine to do the migration.  The converter that Quicken Mac has is basically a hacked version of Quicken Windows, and as such will have the same restrictions.  The current versions of Quicken Windows can't directly convert a Quicken 2000 data file.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    So you  are saying you can't import a 2000 version into 2017 without a pc computer?? what if you don't have one? I even changed the extension to be able to view it on my computer and tried to import it but found it had problems. help
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

So you  are saying you can't import a 2000 version into 2017 without a pc computer?? what if you don't have one? I even changed the extension to be able to view it on my computer and tried to import it but found it had problems. help

First off let me say that because of the statement in the original post that said "Quicken 2000 Deluxe" I took this to be a Windows 2000 data file, because Mac didn't call their 2000 product "Deluxe".  So the above answer assumes that.

If you are in fact talking about a Mac 2000 data file someone that knows about that process will have to answer this question.

Second for any version of Quicken, these are binary database files, you can't just change the suffix and open them in another version of Quicken or program that wasn't made to read that type of file.

And that basically cycles back to you have to have a machine with the properly operating system to run the Quicken program that knows about that version/type of data file to open/convert it.

If that isn't available, about the only thing I can think to suggest is to contact Quicken support.  If you are buying the newest version of Quicken they "might" consider converting your data file for you.
    http://quicken.com/contact-support
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

@BacaGraphics Freddie, could you clarify if you have a Quicken 2000 *Mac* data file? Do you still have the Mac running that software? What version of Mac OS is it running?

The short answer is that the current Quicken Mac can't open a data file from 2000. With more info about what version you have and what computer you have access to, we can discuss possible steps forward.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.