Can I customize my asset classes?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
This is for Windows (via parallels)

Originally I had been hoping to customize my asset classes per security, because I have a pretty specific type of asset allocation in my portfolio (e.g. a certain percentage toward "small cap emerging markets" etc.), but I'm not sure if that is possible. Alternatively, I was wondering if there is any way to organize my securities in a way where I can essentially cluster them in groups or almost 'mini-portfolios', if only for purposes of viewing them that way in Quicken. (This would be across multiple brokerage accounts). 

Any help would be appreciated -- I can clarify more if necessary!!

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Unfortunately Quicken has no provision for user-defined asset classes,although you can re-purpose any of the 6 built-in ones as long as you don't let Quicken download the asset classes for your securities and you keep track of what each one means to you.

Many of us would like that feature to be added if you want to post an Idea on that.

Another (but limited) possibility is that you can define one "investing goal" for each of your securities and you can group the Portfolio views based on that. Unlike asset classes, however, it is all or nothing for the goals, so if you have a diversified fund, you can't have 50% in the "International developed" goal and 50% in "Emerging markets"

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    To add to Jim's accurate answer, you can also set up a variety of portfolio vies. Each view can be individually customized for columns shown, and accounts and securities included. So you could have one view that showed all your small cap emerging securities, another for large cap Europe, etc. but also as Jim said, each security would be treated as 100%.

Personally, I suspect I would try an export to Excel and do the breakdown there.

HTH
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Even though some people on this thread/idea including the original poster don't really understand what an asset class is (asking for an ETF asset class, which makes no sense), is there is already the Idea on the table:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/please-add-etf-to-security-types
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    QPW said:

Even though some people on this thread/idea including the original poster don't really understand what an asset class is (asking for an ETF asset class, which makes no sense), is there is already the Idea on the table:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/please-add-etf-to-security-types

I never asked to set up an ETF asset class. I asked to if there was a way to categorize/customize my holdings by their underlying assets, which is directly applicable to ETFs... as the ETFs in my portfolio track completely different underlying assets. Moreover, some might want to further categorize/index stocks by region/beta/sector/investment strategy/ whatever.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    QPW said:

Charles Smith I was referring to the person that posted the idea in the link I gave above, not you.

Even though that person's "understanding" of assets classes was faulty the suggestion wasn't, and people can vote on it, and hopefully Quicken Inc will implement it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    QPW said:

P.S. It has 67 votes, and as such is a good place to vote instead ever one posting the idea over and over, and getting just a couple of votes.

I was just trying to get the idea "consolidated".
This discussion has been closed.