Incorrect symbol downloading from Fidelity 401k

Janice
Janice Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My Fidelity 401k was working fine then all of a sudden it started downloading different positions for 3 funds. Initially, I It tended to be with Spartan vs Fidelity mutual funds. I called Quicken and they said it was Fidelity. I called Fidelity and they said it's quicken. The mutual funds they are downloading don't have a ticker at all. I'm tempted to delete the connection and have it download an entire new account.  

I'm using Quicken 2016 and Windows 2008.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What 3 funds?  I'm a Fidelity customer also, and can do some research on their website.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As holdings in a 401k account, the holdings may not be the actual retail traded securities (funds).  Rather they would be owned as 'units' of a fund that emulates the retail fund but has different pricing (available only through the 401k administrator) and does not have a real ticker.  

@Janice:  You'll need to clarify what you meant by "working fine".  For how long?  In what fashion?  With what holdings?  What does "it tended to be Spartan vs Fidelity" mean?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    q.lurker said:

As holdings in a 401k account, the holdings may not be the actual retail traded securities (funds).  Rather they would be owned as 'units' of a fund that emulates the retail fund but has different pricing (available only through the 401k administrator) and does not have a real ticker.  

@Janice:  You'll need to clarify what you meant by "working fine".  For how long?  In what fashion?  With what holdings?  What does "it tended to be Spartan vs Fidelity" mean?

As holdings in a 401k account, the holdings may not be the actual retail traded securities (funds).
    Not with Fidelity.  A 401k, holding Fidelity funds, uses the same symbols as a Fidelity Retail account holding those same securities.

This looks more like a "Spartan" vs. non-Spartan issue.

"Spartan" is a particular class of Fidelity Fund shares.  Analogous to Admiral shares at Vanguard.

• Janice
    Janice Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Attached are two files. One is the printout of transactions from Fidelity with the 9/6 transactions.  The other is my quicken file. There are two positions that are wrong. The quicken download pulls Loomis Core Plus Bond Class A but the actual fund being purchased is Class N. The holdings list that shows 648.978 shares of Class N was after I manually fixed each transaction to N. When I realized it was it was still downloading Cl A, I didn't accept the transactions and reached out for help to Quicken & Fidelity to no avail. In addition, Quicken downloads 
    Sptn Ext Mkt Idx
    Adv instead of Fidelity Tot Mkt Index.  I have indicated that error with an arrow. You can see that on the Fidelity screenshot and the Quicken screenshot.  I am at a total loss as to what to do. I really don't have to want to manually fix the transaction each time. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Janice said:

Attached are two files. One is the printout of transactions from Fidelity with the 9/6 transactions.  The other is my quicken file. There are two positions that are wrong. The quicken download pulls Loomis Core Plus Bond Class A but the actual fund being purchased is Class N. The holdings list that shows 648.978 shares of Class N was after I manually fixed each transaction to N. When I realized it was it was still downloading Cl A, I didn't accept the transactions and reached out for help to Quicken & Fidelity to no avail. In addition, Quicken downloads 
    Sptn Ext Mkt Idx
    Adv instead of Fidelity Tot Mkt Index.  I have indicated that error with an arrow. You can see that on the Fidelity screenshot and the Quicken screenshot.  I am at a total loss as to what to do. I really don't have to want to manually fix the transaction each time. 

What ticker symbols to you have recorded, in Q, for each of the impacted FIDELITY funds?

Also, some of your funds have a PR suffix.  Are you investing thru some advisor ... rather than directly thru Fidelity?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Janice said:

Sptn Ext Mkt Idx

@Janice:  First you need to do some historical review and back-checking.  My quick online research suggest the Spartan funds were renamed in 2016 to be Fidelity Funds.  I don't know if new tickers were applied.  So in your Quicken datafile, the  SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV fund and FID EXT MKT IDX PR funds are probably one and the same.  An easy step at the time might have been to rename the SPTN funds to the FID nomenclature.  Since you now have two funds referring to the same holding, we'll need to find a better path for your case.  How do you think you handled the switch at that time?  What relevant transactions are in your file for that transition? 

Secondly, I note that your SPTN EXT MKT IDX ADV fund does not have a valid ticker.  Since I don't know your setup, I suggest you review all your tickers to make sure they are valid and correct for the actual funds you hold.

Finally, I suspect you have a mismatch between the online security and the Quicken security.  You can unmatch by unchecking the box on the Edit Security Details screen, but that path may depend on how you choose to address my first observation.  After unmatching, Quicken will prompt you to match again at its next opportunity. 

Hope this starts you down the correct path. 

This discussion has been closed.