I use Quicken 2007 - Home in a foreign country

Options
Sirs, good night.
I use Quicken 2007 - Home & Business and I only have Real and I have difficulty with the currency because we use the comma different from the USA.I have already tried to switch to single currency but I get a message to delete accounts in other currencies that I do not own.How can I get this right?thankful

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You can't change the settings or use of decimal point vs. decimal comma in Quicken.
    Amounts are always shown formatted like $1,234.56 and not €1.234,56
    If your currency does not use fractional currency units (like the Japanese Yen), you usually can't make it show amounts without the ".00" at the end. In newer Quicken versions there are some settings in some places where you can control this, but there is no global setting.

Why can't you change that?
    Even in modern Quicken versions, Quicken Inc. has paid more attention to functions and features used by US and Canadian customers than making a version that applies to international customers.
    Adapting Quicken to be able to work seamlessly with all the world's currencies would probably require a total redesign of the program. And that, I'm afraid, may not happen any time soon.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

You can't change the settings or use of decimal point vs. decimal comma in Quicken.
    If your currency does not use fractional currency units (like the Japanese Yen), you usually can't make it show amounts without the ".00" at the end. In newer Quicken versions there are some settings in some places where you can control this, but there is no global setting.

Even in modern Quicken versions, Quicken Inc. has paid more attention to functions and features used by US and Canadian customers than making a version that applies to international customers.
    Adapting Quicken to be able to work seamlessly with all the world's currencies would probably require a total redesign of the program. And that, I'm afraid, may not happen any time soon.

UKR, I thought that Q took it's currency format from the Windows settings.  Am I mis-remembering?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

UKR you are thinking of the date format, not the currency format.  Quicken doesn't look at the Windows settings for the currency.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    First on changing to "single currency".  That is something you don't want to do. The version of Quicken you have is a US product, so the "single" currency would be USD.

You can change the displaying of the thousand separator and decimal mark.

You need to find the Quicken.ini file.  In the newest versions of Quicken it is at:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\config

I'm not sure if it is at the same place for Quicken 2007.

In that file you will find these lines you can change:
    sDecimal=
    sThousand=

Basically just exchange their settings.
    There is also one for currency symbol, but for the Brazilian Real that wouldn't change from $.
    Note there isn't a setting to put the currency symbol at the end of the number, and this setting might not be used everywhere in Quicken.  And on top of that, this is an ASCII file so most likely you won't be able to put in currency symbols like the Euro.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    P.S.  Just so you know.  Changing this, doesn't change what the QIF import expects.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

AAAHHH, thanks for straightening me out.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.