Investing Graph (Growth of 10,000) Not Populating Correctly

Bob@50
Bob@50 Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
There are no error messages, but the graph that is supposed to show the "Growth of $10,000" and indicate how my securities perform alongside the indices is not populating correctly since I upgraded to Quicken 2018.  In particular, the indices are showing no growth and no decline no matter what time frame you select.  In addition, my securities are showing no growth and then a huge growth (apparently my 10,000 grew to 260,000 over the course of 8 months - I wish!!!).  

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello Bob, appreciate your question.

Are you using Quicken 2018 on a PC or Mac?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Are you able to provide us with anymore information?

Let us know where you are at, if we don't hear back from you this post will be closed after 48 hours.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bob@50
    Bob@50 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes I am able to provide more info. The graph is not populating correctly and it appears the formula used to do the IRR calculation is flawed. The indices remain flat (stay on the 10k line) whereas my accounts are flat at 10k for 6 months and then step up and flatten randomly to show my 10k has grown to 100k then 260k in 3 months, which is not accurate. In addition to the steps and flat lines of my accounts, the graph temains the same even if some accounts are deselected and the 260k is NOT the gross amount of my accounts either. Ii don't know what additional info you need.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for your response Bob.

Can you tell us wether this is the Windows or Mac product?

Can you upload a screenshot of what you are seeing?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bob@50
    Bob@50 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Windows. And here's an image of the graph. image
  • Bob@50
    Bob@50 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have some additional information I just discovered that may help - IF I select a timeframe that does not go back in time past the date of my upgrade, the information populates correctly.  However, if the timeframe starts prior to the date of the upgrade, the graph will not populate correctly at all.  I upgraded in mid March so trying to graph any date that begins before mid-March 2018 causes the problem and any date that begins after mid-March 2018 populates a correct graph.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Bob,

Thank you for providing that information.

I would try to run a validate and repair on the file.

The steps can be found at: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bob@50
    Bob@50 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tyka - thanks for the suggestion.  I did validate and repair, but there is no change (including deleting old share prices and repopulating with new).  It appears to me to be an issue with the conversion of the old data to the new software.  The population of the information from and after the date of upgrading to 2018 is fine, but the report is not treating the information that migrated over from the prior version of Quicken the same for whatever reason.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for the response.

You may be able to add the account new, usually brokerage accounts will download the last year or so of transactions.

That's probably not as much history as you already have, but you may be able to use the graph before March.

The only thing I could possible think of is validate the file from the previous version and try to convert again possibly.

Sorry to not have a simple fix or solution as the issue does appear to be how the report is interpreting the data in the file.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I have exactly the same issue. I get impossible values if the date range crosses 12/15/2017. Graphs that don't include that date are correct.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but for anyone who has similar problems, here are some suggestions to uncover why this is happening and fix the problems.

Be sure to back up your data before making changes.

-- select one account at a time at the top of the view to narrow down what is causing the jump(s)

-- narrow down the date range to isolate each jump

-- within each problem account, look at transactions on the problem dates to identify the problem securities.

-- check the price history for the problem securities and correct any out-of-line values.

--  review any corporate spinoffs, splits, and share class conversions, which can also cause problems in this area.

-- see this post for further info on issues with share class conversions
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qwp-2018-growth-of-10-000-chart-incorrect-after-...

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.