identical stock symbol issues

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In 2005 I purchased and sold a stock.  Yesterday one of my more recent holdings changed their stock symbol to the same symbol as the stock I sold in 2005.  Also, yesterday there was a stock split.  I manually changed the stock symbol and Quicken (Windows 2017 Home and Business) applied the stock split.  The old stock (which had a 0 balance) was updated and all of a sudden I now have 450 shares which turned into 900 shares with the stock split (it was not a 1:2 split!).   

I have deleted the 2005 shares, I'm still have an incorrect number of shares in my portfolio (although the shares in the specific account is correct).  HELP, I spent over an hour trying to find this problem.  I've been a Quicken user since 1991, I'm not new to Quicken!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would try restoring a recent back up. Then change the stock symbol for the 2005 stock to a made up stock symbol. Then step through the updates for the new stock.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I suggest you restore a datafile backup you saved prior to the yesterday's change.  Then, clear the symbol associated with the old security and reset the new symbol for the current security.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    mshiggins said:

I would try restoring a recent back up. Then change the stock symbol for the 2005 stock to a made up stock symbol. Then step through the updates for the new stock.

change the stock symbol for the 2005 stock to a made up stock symbol
    I like to use something like SYM(old).  I am pretty sure the powers that be are unlikely to incorporate () in symbols in the near future. 

When doing that ticker change, I would opt to a) yes, copy the prices from the old ticker to the new (so that you have them for the historical record), and b) yes, delete the old ticker prices (so they don't get applied to your new security).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I opened my most recent backup, and carefully(!) changed the symbol and added the stock split (manually).  I updated the my portfolio, Quicken immediately wanted to add stock splits for the old stock.  I must have clicked okay before reading this before.  Everything is okay now.

Odd, that the backup file date was 10/25/2018, yet it had entries I made on 10/31/2018!
This discussion has been closed.