Reminder - Sell $ amount of mutual fund

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Windows R17.4 -- I make all entries manually. I do not download any transactions.

Years ago I set up two reminders to automatically  record  the sale of the RMD from my mutual fund and deposit to my checking account. The first reminder automatically sells a given $ amount of the mutual fund.  The second reminder then transfers (xout) the funds to my bank account and the income tax withholding.  I do have to each month adjust the number of shares sold, but this is Ok.

Now I wish to do much the same with a different non IRA mutual fund; however, I am unable to set up a reminder to sell the mutual fund. I can not find a way to set up a reminder to sell (either Sold or SoldX) a mutual fund. Has this feature been removed?

I do not have any problem setting up the reminder for the transfer out (xout) , but I have to manually enter a sell transaction each month.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I only now noticed that the sell transaction for the old RMD does not show up in the  "Manager Bill and Income Reminders" tab.   Where is this investment reminder stored ?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I am using Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager  for Windows  R17.4
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Maybe you memorized a transaction?

Quicken Help:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Work with memorized investment transactions

If Classic Menus are not turned on, choose View
    menu > Classic Menus to turn them on, then choose Investing menu > Memorized Investment Transactions.

•   To memorize an
      investment transaction
      1. In the investment account's transaction list, select the transaction you
        want to memorize.
      2. Right-click and choose Memorize investment
        transaction.
      3. Click OK to confirm the memorization.
      4. If the transaction has been memorized before, click Replace to overwrite the previous one, or click Add to create an additional one.
      Notes

If Classic Menus are not turned on, choose View menu >
      Classic Menus to turn them on, then choose Investing menu
      > Memorized Investment Transactions to look at the list where Quicken
      just memorized this transaction.

•   To use a memorized
      investment transaction
      1. In the Account Bar, select
        the account you want to use
      2. If Classic Menus are not turned on, choose View menu >
        Classic Menus to turn them on.
      3. Choose Investing menu > Memorized Investment
        Transactions.
      4. Select the memorized investment transaction you want to use.
      5. Click Use.
      6. In the window provided, edit the transaction details (for example, the date)
        as necessary.
      7. Click Enter/Done to enter the transaction in the
        investment transaction list of the selected account.

•   To delete a memorized
      investment transaction
      1. If Classic Menus are not turned on, choose View menu >
      2. Choose Investing menu > Memorized Investment
        Transactions.
      3. Select the transaction you want to delete.
      4. Click Delete.
      5. Click OK to confirm the deletion.
      Notes

Although the transaction is removed from the Memorized Investment Transaction
      list, entries in your investment account transaction list remain
      intact.

Use these procedures to schedule recurring investment transactions
    other than dividend and interest payments (for example, dollar cost averaging,
    DRIPs, or other transactions in which there are purchases on a regular basis).
    Dividend and interest transactions for investment accounts can now be handled as
    straightforward bill
    and income reminders

Recording a transaction in Quicken does not execute a real-world
    trade, transfer, or other transaction. Contact your broker to execute trades or
    transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken—better yet, download them
    directly from your participating financial institution

You can have "Reminders" in an Investment Account but they are basically memos or "things to remember" as you can't associate an "action" to them.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It sounds like a Memorized Investment Transaction used along with a Scheduled Transaction Group Reminder.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    mshiggins said:

It sounds like a Memorized Investment Transaction used along with a Scheduled Transaction Group Reminder.

You may be correct, but after I memorize the transaction how do I get make a Reminder?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

Quicken Help:

menu > Classic Menus to turn them on, then choose Investing menu > Memorized Investment Transactions.

•   To memorize an
      investment transaction
        want to memorize.
        transaction.
      4. If the transaction has been memorized before, click Replace to overwrite the previous one, or click Add to create an additional one.
      Notes

•   To use a memorized
      investment transaction
        Transactions.
      5. Click Use.
        as necessary.

investment transaction
        Transactions.
      4. Click Delete.
      Notes

intact.

Dividend and interest transactions for investment accounts can now be handled as
    straightforward bill
    and income reminders

transfers, and then manually record the transactions in Quicken—better yet, download them

You can have "Reminders" in an Investment Account but they are basically memos or "things to remember" as you can't associate an "action" to them.

"Use these procedures to schedule recurring investment transactions other than dividend and interest payments (for example, dollar cost averaging, DRIPs, or other transactions in which there are purchases on a regular basis)."

But how to Schedule???????  

Are you saying that in Quicken 2017 there is no way to Schedule a memorized investment  transaction?  But my OLD RMD schedule works well.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

Quicken Help:

•   To memorize an
      investment transaction
        want to memorize.
        transaction.
      Notes

•   To use a memorized
      investment transaction
        Transactions.
      5. Click Use.
        as necessary.

investment transaction
        Transactions.
      4. Click Delete.
      Notes

intact.

straightforward bill
    and income reminders

I've never used a memorized Investment Account transaction but it looks like you go down to the empty line at the bottom of the transaction list, enter an appropriate date and then right-click and select "Memorized investment transaction list", then pick up the transaction you want.  That transaction will have an "action" associated with it, like a "Sold" action if that's how you memorized it.
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2018
    Tom Young said:

Quicken Help:

•   To memorize an
      investment transaction
        want to memorize.
        transaction.
      Notes

•   To use a memorized
      investment transaction
        Transactions.
      5. Click Use.
        as necessary.

investment transaction
        Transactions.
      4. Click Delete.
      Notes

intact.

straightforward bill
    and income reminders

Use a Scheduled Transaction Group.

Tools | Manage Bill & Income Reminders

From the menu, Create New | Scheduled Transaction Group

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The problem with scheduling Buy and Sell transactions is that unless the security has a fixed share price like a money market fund, you don't know in advance what the share price will be. Quicken lets you schedule these and enter them in your transaction list, but you will have to go back and edit them after the fact to correct the price to get the correct share quantity or proceeds.

For fixed-price securities, you can safely memorize the transaction then include it in a "Scheduled transaction group" which works like other reminders. CAVEAT: I have seen flakiness with these in QWin 2018/19, such as skipping months in the schedule, even after similar problems with ordinary reminders were resolved.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

The problem with scheduling Buy and Sell transactions is that unless the security has a fixed share price like a money market fund, you don't know in advance what the share price will be. Quicken lets you schedule these and enter them in your transaction list, but you will have to go back and edit them after the fact to correct the price to get the correct share quantity or proceeds.

For fixed-price securities, you can safely memorize the transaction then include it in a "Scheduled transaction group" which works like other reminders. CAVEAT: I have seen flakiness with these in QWin 2018/19, such as skipping months in the schedule, even after similar problems with ordinary reminders were resolved.  

1.  As I wrote "I do have to each month adjust the number of shares sold, but this is OK."

2.  I think the Scheduled Transaction Group will work.  Now I need to understand how to set up the group. It looks like I can use if for some other problem I have.  Is there a good How to text or video some place.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

You might start by searching the Quicken Help for "investment transaction groups"

Include the quotes to find the exact phrase
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    edited November 2018

I have not had any issues with reminders or scheduled transaction groups in QW2017 26.1.15.5.

For setting up the Scheduled Transaction Group, once you click Create New, select the desired investment account, then select the Investment radio button to see the list of Memorized Investment Transactions that can be selected to include in the group.

This discussion has been closed.