Missing asset account in Quicken 2019

Unknown
Unknown Member
I installed Quicken Delux 2019/Mac and imported my data from Quicken Premier 2017/Windows. Only two of my three Asset accounts show up. When I try to create a new account with the name of the missing one, Quicken tells me that an account with that name already exists. It does not appear in the list of hidden accounts, nor anywhere else I have looked. The asset value of the missing account is not included in the sidebar total.

iMac, Mojave, max resources.

Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Well, that's interesting! ;)  I haven't heard of this, and I don't have an idea of what's going on. Does the account name in the Windows versions have any special characters? Did you validate your file and follow the steps in this article about preparing your Windows data file for importing into the Mac?

If someone else with more Windons-to-Mac expertise doesn't pop in here with any other thoughts, one thing I'd suggest doing is taking a look at the import log file to see if it sheds any insight on what happened during the import.

In Quicken Mac, select "Show Logs in Finder" from the Help menu. It will open a folder called Logs in the same folder hierarchy as your data file. You'll see a file called "Quicken Import Log for {your data file name} at {date & time of import}". It's a .txt file, so you can just double-click on it to open in TextEdit. Then do a Find (Command-F) for the name of your mysteriously-hidden account. Step through all the instances where the account name appears to look for something that looks amiss.

I'm a longtime Quicken Mac user, so my import into Quicken Mac comes from the legacy Quicken Mac 2007, not Windows, so I'm using it here to give you an idea of the type of thing you might find in the import log to clue you in to the root of the problem.  In importing my Quicken Mac 2007 data file, one asset account shows this normal import report...
    Account Home–Cost - 40 cashflow transactions processed (40 were created)
    ...but another of my accounts shows some problems.  (These are due to issues with Quicken Mac 2007's sometimes-unstable database, and are likely different from whatever might be affecting you coming from QWin; I'm just using them to illustrate)....
    Account XYZ - 178 cashflow transactions processed (57 were created)
    SKIPPING 281804820: Transfer w/o destination account
    on 2010-01-20 12:00:00 
     and 
    Account ABC - 3086 cashflow transactions processed (1037 were created)
       1 transactions in the account 'ABC' have been marked with the note
       '[IMPORTED ORPHAN TRANSFER]' because they were originally transfers but
       could not be matched.
    The messages a e a little cryptic, but they gave me some ideas of where to look in my source file to make fixes before I re-imported. I'm not sure you'll get answers in the log file, but it's worth a quick look there.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the quick response! I'll pursue it immediately.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    The log file has a single entry with the name of the account. Its format is no different from the entries for all the other accounts. All entries in the log seem ordinary.

I considering importing the data once again, to see what happens. (I don't look forward to redoing all the work I've done since the first import but it may be easier than pursuing this issue.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Ralph said:

The log file has a single entry with the name of the account. Its format is no different from the entries for all the other accounts. All entries in the log seem ordinary.

I considering importing the data once again, to see what happens. (I don't look forward to redoing all the work I've done since the first import but it may be easier than pursuing this issue.

Well, with little effort, you can at least run the import again quickly just to see if the same thing happens or not. If it shows up okay, then you'll have to decide between re-doing your work since the first import or trying to find why the account is invisible in the original -- for which I currently have no additional suggestions.

If the problem recurs, you could try contacting Quicken Support. Their phone support people (Monday-Friday only) can connect to your computer to see what you're seeing, so if you run the import with them watching, and the account just "disappears", they either hopefully know something to do to make it re-appear, or should be able to escalate it. (How long does the import take to run on your Mac? Just wondering if it's feasible to get a Support person to sit on the phone and watch it happen or not.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Clear thinking and useful advice. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.