What is the best way to introduce teens to quicken

I have two teenage kids who need to start using Quicken. I have a quicken multi-year subscription and I believe you can have multiple files under our log-in. Is this correct? Since they are teens and don’t have many accounts to track it isn’t worth buying a subscription for each kid.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    You can have as many data files and install on as many machines as you want using one Quicken Id, but there is one gotcha to consider.

If you sync to the Quicken Cloud account to use either the Quicken Mobile app or Quicken Web, everyone that has the Quicken Id password will be able to get at all the Quicken Cloud account data files.
  • Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Just Me and Not Someone Else Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Will all three files synch so each kid can access their file? I believe I understand they could always switch to another file in the app settings.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Will all three files synch so each kid can access their file? I believe I understand they could always switch to another file in the app settings.

You will need a different desktop file for you and each kid.  If you elect to use QMobile/Q-Web, you will need to setup each file to sync the selected accounts to the Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) created for that specific desktop data file.

When using QMobile/Q-Web, you will need to select the correct QCA.  This is where QPW's warning comes in.  Since you are all using the same Quicken Id (one subscription), the kids will be able to see (and mess with) your finances (at least the accounts that you have synced) and they can look/mess with the other kids finances also.  There is no getting around this while using a single subscription.

If you have activated things like credit score and Zillow, they will have access to it also.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

If it was me I would either not sync any data file to the Quicken Cloud, or I would buy a subscription for each.  You have to decide how valuable to have "remote access".

With kids that might be mostly "cash" based, it might be pretty important.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For another purpose, I use two different files with two different IDs and password, and it works 
This discussion has been closed.