Correcting investment acct securities cost

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have mulitple securities in my portfolio. My financial institution does not support transaction down load and update so I manually enter all transactions. Some of my cost values are not correct. How do I correct the cost values?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Roland, what Quicken year version and operating system are you currently using?

By security cost, do you mean cost basis?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    windows and 2019
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    yes, cost basis
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Are you talking about "How do I add Buy / Sell / etc. transactions to my investment account register?" or are you asking about "How do I manually update quote prices in Quicken?"

Are you new to Quicken for Windows?

Welcome.

Please read this for more information, some videos and a list of resources to
    help familiarize yourself with Quicken:

https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips

https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-windows

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a blue (or yellow) button with a question
    mark. Click it to get view - specific help.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    not new to Quicken, used it for many years.  The cost basis on some securities in one of my investment accounts is incorrect and I am looking for a way to adjust the cost basis.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

not new to Quicken, used it for many years.  The cost basis on some securities in one of my investment accounts is incorrect and I am looking for a way to adjust the cost basis.

How did you determine the cost basis is incorrect? Are you looking at individual lots or the combined lots for a security? Has there been any corporate actions for the security?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    There isn't a simple "Cost Basis Correction" wizard that you can use.  If the cost basis of a security is incorrect and you've entered all transactions manually, then the (obvious) reason for the incorrect basis is that an entry or entries have been recorded incorrectly and the best fix for that (obviously) is find your error. 

Assuming the number of shares is correct I'd probably look at the "sells" first, as they are trickier to enter then the "buys" since you have to select the same lots to sell as the lots used by the broker.  Especially confounding when it comes to sells is the situation where you have a wash sale loss, a loss that you can't deduct currently but instead is attached to the "replacement shares".  Brokers don't show you the "behind the scenes" transactions as to where that wash loss gets attached to a lot or lots; it more or less happens "magically" and there's no straight-forward "transaction" you can enter into Quicken to make your Quicken lots line up with the broker's records. 

In my own file I have a few of these cost basis differences that relate to wash sale losses - usually with a fund that issues dividends monthly that are automatically reinvested - and I've decided I'll just live with the differences, differences that are fairly small, because the only straight-forward way of correcting these differences is to do a Remove of all the shares and then enter dozens and dozens of Adds to get all those lots aligned with the broker's reporting.  If that's what you face you may choose to take that course, too.

If you have access to the financial institution's detail of cost basis, monthly, quarterly or yearly, then comparing that history to your Quicken's detail of cost basis at least should allow you to spot the period when your two cost bases diverged and then focus on transactions in that period.
This discussion has been closed.