Cannot Copy and Paste a WriteChk transaction.

Options
Ron n Round Rock
Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2019, the subscription version.  In one of my IRA accounts, I cannot Copy a WriteChk transaction and Paste it - the Paste transaction is greyed out.

I am doing a right-click Copy transaction and then a Right-click to Paste the transaction, but the only option offered (not greyed out) is Move transaction.  In fact, I am not sure it was even copied, but something did happen because cut, copy & paste are all greyed out, which is not something you normally see on a right click.

Copy and Paste works on other transactions - it is just the WriteChk transaction that I cannot Copy and Paste.

I do note that I have noticed some irregularities with Copy and Paste in IRA accounts (Closed or I would have posted there) - is there a rhyme or reason for this..

ron in round rock

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    IMHO, forget Copy and Paste. Just start typing a new transaction. As you select the Payee Name, information about the previous check transaction to the same Payee should be retrieved to fill in the blanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    UKR said:

IMHO, forget Copy and Paste. Just start typing a new transaction. As you select the Payee Name, information about the previous check transaction to the same Payee should be retrieved to fill in the blanks.

That is assuming you have the "Auto create memorized payees" option turned on. Otherwise, you have to right-click on a transaction to tell Quicken to memorize the payee. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Can you enter a write check straight out in the IRA? I doubt it but cannot chech it out right now. Because of taxation set up, I think only withdrawals are valid; not checks.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    q.lurker said:

Can you enter a write check straight out in the IRA? I doubt it but cannot chech it out right now. Because of taxation set up, I think only withdrawals are valid; not checks.

From C. D. Bales:

You can create a WriteChk transaction from scratch in a Quicken IRA account.

You can't Paste transactions that deposit cash to, or withdraw cash from, a Quicken IRA account.

And you can't even Copy contribution transactions in an IRA account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    q.lurker said:

Also note that IRA withdrawals via a WriteChk are not included in the Form 1099-R section of the Tax Schedule report by default, even if the Category for the check has an appropriate tax line item. This is because the IRA account is excluded from the report by default. You can include the account in the tax report, but I bet that will cause other problems.

It is probably best to confine IRA withdrawals to transfers to a taxable Quicken account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied - and informed me of the special circumstances that apply to IRA accounts.

I guess I can kind of see the point here, father Quicken trying to take care of me.

Let me note two things:

1)  No, I am not really writing a check in my IRA account - I am merely doing it for tracking purposes, in a canned Report that I have set up.  I am actually transferring my RMD to another non-IRA account but replacing the transfer (I think Withdrawal) transaction with the WriteChk transaction (made the Report easier to create and track).

2)  In my Quicken I can enter a WriteChk transaction in the IRA account without any problem - just couldn't Copy and Paste an earlier WriteChk transaction.  I was using Copy and Paste to make sure the wording in the memo and other fields was consistent in my Report printout.

But thanks everyone for the educational update - I won't worry about it any more.

Sorry for the late response, but Christmas shopping got hold of me.

Not sure which response to mark as Answered if I can, but will probably pick mshigging.

ron in round rock

This discussion has been closed.