How do I start a new year?

Bob@37
Bob@37 Member ✭✭
Hey, fellow Quicken user,

I wish to learn Your opinion about something, please?  With 2019 about to-start, I need to create a new file in Quicken.

But, hey:  Rather-than get Fancy with the New Year, I feel that I can duplicate the data from 2018, save it with the name 2019.  Then I would Delete All of the individual transactions in 2019's file, while $aving their names & their categories.

Doing this strikes me as Slick.  :-)  How do You feel, please?  Thank you.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Why?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Most users of Quicken do NOT archive and start a new year data file.

Doing so loses your previous financial history...which is why most users keep a data file like Quicken.

Also, doing so is problematic if and when Quicken changes the data structure of their data file.  If you opened an archived file, you would then need to convert it to the new file type.

As of now, the Quicken data file is compatible from Quicken 2016 and beyond.  But that's not saying it will be in the future.

Unless you have performance issues with your data file, most users see no reason to create a new data file and start a new year.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    That works until you have a corrupt file.  In order to prevent a corrupt file Quicken support recommended that I start a new file every year. :/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Liz J said:

That works until you have a corrupt file.  In order to prevent a corrupt file Quicken support recommended that I start a new file every year. :/

Hogwash.  Whoever suggested that simply doesn't know what they were talking  about.

File size has NOTHING to  do with file corruption.

I have, as do many of the SuperUsers, a Q data file that goes back 20+years.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.