S&P 500 moving average chart

Options
William Day
William Day Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Mac)
Provide a moving average chart of the S&P 500 (20 day, 50 day, 200 day ?) and/or DOW.  This/These could be a chart that is separate and independent of the investment chart.
Tagged:

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you provide additional detail on how you anticipate using this moving average chart info?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I would think you would want to be able to see moving averages for any security or index and compare to current price for that or something else.

Some people use current price relative to moving average as a buy or sell signal. See https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/052014/how-use-moving-average-buy-stocks.asp

Others say your portfolio is like a bar of soap - the more you touch it the smaller it gets!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • William Day
    William Day Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I like the idea of plotting the 20, 50, 200 day moving average chart for individual investments, but would still like to see the DOW and S&P 500 even if there are no such investments in one's portfolio.

One might use the 20 day moving average crossing the 50 day moving average as an early signal to buy or sell.  See Jim Harman's link above.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

I like the idea of plotting the 20, 50, 200 day moving average chart for individual investments, but would still like to see the DOW and S&P 500 even if there are no such investments in one's portfolio.

One might use the 20 day moving average crossing the 50 day moving average as an early signal to buy or sell.  See Jim Harman's link above.

I think there is some 'danger' in presenting moving average charts for individual securities.  I do not consider the price history data stored in Quicken to be reliable enough support that presentation.  The data is subject to holes (missing values if not updated frequently enough), user input values (rightly or in error), inconsistent treatment of split adjustments, among other possible issues.  

The indexes are less likely to be impacted by those issues, so moving averages for indexes might be sufficiently reliable, though I would still encourage a user to cross-check with other sources.  
  • William Day
    William Day Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

Still I would like to see the 'trend' even with the possible price history gaps (its a user responsibility to insure that prices are 'gapless' if they intend to use the moving average graphs).
  • William Day
    William Day Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options

On 2nd thought, perhaps I should research and logon to one of the 'trading websites' for accurate moving average graphs; too many pitfalls using Q2018Mac.
This discussion has been closed.