Lost my data!

Unknown
Unknown Member
Eight months ago, at Quicken's request, I stopped using Quicken 2015 (for Mac) and purchased Quicken Starter 2018 (I think they just want to get an annual fee).  I have been using it regularly with no problems.  Then, several days ago, to free up disc space, I uninstalled Quicken 2015.  Now I've lost the data file that I've been using, and that opened up every time I clicked on the Quicken icon.  I have daily backups but can't locate any file that will open with the 2018 software.  I last downloaded transactions in mid-December. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello Joseph. Appreciate your question.

The data files are different between Quicken 2015 (.quicken2015) and Quicken 2019 (.quicken.) When you upgraded from Quicken 2015, your data file was upgraded and moved to a different location.  

There is not any connection with Quicken 2015 and 2018/19 because of the file extensions.

If you go the File menu and choose "Open Recent", do you see your Quicken file?

Please let us know so that we can help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

The data files are different between Quicken 2015 (.quicken2015) and Quicken 2019 (.quicken.) When you upgraded from Quicken 2015, your data file was upgraded and moved to a different location.  

There is not any connection with Quicken 2015 and 2018/19 because of the file extensions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Thanks Harold.  I had already tried that, but the file that came up didn't show any transactions after January 2015 (4 years ago) so it is clearly not picking up the current file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Even on my backup files (external drive) I am not seeing any recent quicken data files.  Maybe I don't know where to look for them.
  • Quicken Harold
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Have you tried to restore from a previous saved automatic backup from Quicken?

Click on File, choose Restore from Backup, and go into the Automatic Backups folder to see if you can restore from a previous date that should have your current data.

Give this a try and let us know the results.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

The same file keeps coming up.  There doesn't seem to be anything more current.  I can't understand why.  Is there any reason why uninstalling Quicken 2015 would've removed data files from my backup disc? Is there any way to get Quicken 2015 back? I can't even log into my quicken account since Quicken was sold by intuit.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

I've been using Quicken for 15 years.  Every "upgrade" has made it worse.  In the beginning, it was a beautiful thing -- simple.  Now it is trying to be too many things.  Very frustrating.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

They just gave me a "100 point badge" whatever that is.  I would rather have my data back.
  • Quicken Harold
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Hello Joseph. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Quicken 2015 is a product no longer available from Quicken since it is a discontinued item.

The only other option is to go into the System Library folder and visit the Quicken 2015 folder to see if your documents are here. If they are, you can convert them to 2019.

~ From the Finder menu, click on the "Go" menu, and while holding down the Option key, choose "Library"
    ~ Once in the Library folder, double click on the Application Support folder.
    ~ Next, scroll down and look for a folder called 'Quicken 2015'
    ~ Next, click on Documents.
    ~ If you see files in here, double clicking on the file will allow you to upgrade them to use in 2019. If one doesn't work, try any other file that is listed until you see your current data.

Give this a try. 

Let us know the result.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

One correction Harold... it's the User Library folder, not the System library folder, which is a different folder. But your instructions are correct for getting to the User Library folder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Hey Joseph,

How did you uninstall 2015?  Did you use something like Clean My Mac to do so?

Removing one program shouldn't affect the other program.

Is it possible that while you purchased the 2018/2019 version you continued to open and use the 2015 version?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    It kinda sounds like you've been using QM2015 all this time, even after installing QM2018+. Are you sure you were running in QM2018+? Easy way to tell is that Qm2018+ has a prominent blue bar across the top while QM2015 does not.

If you were running QM2015, then deleting it may have taken your data with it and you wouldn't have any QM2018+ data. Take a look in the Trash Can if you haven't emptied it. Look for anything starting with Quicken. You may find it there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

I uninstalled it with Clean My Mac. I don't think I was using it because it had a different icon.  The icon in my dock is just the Q without the little "2015"  I have no other way to know which version I was running.  But why would the files be removed from my backup external disc?  That's the part that makes no sense to me.
  • RickO
    edited January 2019

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Clean My Mac is notorious for going overboard and deleting more than it should. I don't know if leaves stuff in the Trash, but you may be able to dig it out of there.

If you look for folder (username) > Library > Application Support > Quicken > Documents (as explained above by Harold), and there's nothing in that folder or if the whole Quicken folder under Application Support is missing, then CMM probably removed it and your Quicken file with it.

Do you have time machine or any other backups that you can restore?
This discussion has been closed.