Reports Not Showing Memos from Split Transactions

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Reports (Mac)
Hi,
I am using Quicken for Mac 2019 ver 5.9.2. When making a Category Summary Report, I check the box "Show Memo/Notes". The report will not show Memos that are inside SPLIT transactions, only ones from single transactions. Thoughts?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    John -

I'm using the same version and tried to recreate your issue, but could not. I started a report from Category Summary, then clicked on Customize and included a name for the new report.

For the sake of brevity, I included only the categories that I knew I were included in a recent split transaction.

Here's a screen shot of the transaction:

Note that I do NOT have any text in the "Note" field for the whole transaction (in the upper right of blue bar).

Also, be sure you're putting your Memo/Notes in the LAST field and not the "Tags" field. (It's a little confusing since that field is underneath the word "Total"). The field will show "Notes" in gray text when the field is blank.

Here's the resulting report

Note that the report doesn't give me column headings, so you just have to know that the fourth column from the left is the Memo/Notes. (Date, Account, Payee, Memo/Notes, Amount).

If you can include some screen shots of one of the transactions and how it displays in the report, that would be helpful for troubleshooting.

Dawne
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Dawne, Thanks so much for the reply. When I went to make a screen shot for you, I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the Memo written in the Note Section of the ENTIRE SPLIT as opposed to the note Section of each individual transaction inside the split. As soo as I switched it, it showed up in the report. Sorry I did not catch that before I posted, but I will say it was your request for a screenshot that made me take a closer look, so THANK YOU and have a great day!
    Cheers,
    John
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I totally get it.... I made the same mistake at first and got double memos:

In my example, if I had something in the Entire Split - say "Stuff" the entries would each appear as 

Stuff Screws
    Stuff Cash

That really had me screwed up for a while.

d

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Stuff Thanks!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    John and Dawne,

You might consider using New Report to create your category report instead of the old-style Category Summary Report.

(Brief background: the named reports in the Reports menu are all carry-overs of the old reports engine from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials. They don't offer the user much control over content or formatting in the reports. So over the past year, the developers have been working on a new reports engine. The work isn't complete yet, and it's somewhat hidden under the innocuous "New Report" menu item -- but the new reports are much more flexible. Again it's still a work in progress, but eventually, we assume the old reports will go away and all the reports will use the new reports engine.)

In this case, the benefit of using New Report is that it pulls text from the Memo/Notes field for a main transaction and for splits. Create your category summary-like report by doing New Category > Transaction, Subtotal by Category. Set your date range and any account or category filters you wish. Now, you can decide which columns to include in the report -- so add Memo/Notes. If you have a transaction with a Memo/Note of "December Fuel" and two split lines for "ABC's gas" and "XYZ's gas", on the report you'll see the Memo/Notes filed displayed as "December Fuel:ABC's gas" and "December Fuel:XYZ's gas" -- so you get to see ALL your text in the report, unlike the old Category Summary report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Jacobs, thanks so much for this. That is exactly what I want to do. I used to be able to that in Quicken for Mac 2007 and was wondering why/how it went away. Appreciate it!
  • I have the same problem with Quicken 2017 for Mac. I have used for years and the reports always showed my memo/notes for split transactions. I find no option anymore to select the columns report shows. This is not useful for my tax records. Help!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @claudiavolano Quicken 2017 has the first incarnation of the New Report reports,  but it does not include the functionality to allow you to select which columns to include in a report. That capability was added in the Quicken 2018 version 5.4 release in December 2017. 

You might be able to use the old-style Category Summary report, and click the "Show Memo/Notes" box to get what you need for now.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.