Gain/Loss YTD column

John@138
John@138 Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
At this time quicken does not offer Gain/Loss YTD column under customize current view for reports.  Is it possible to add this column as an option. Currently you offer Day, 1-mth, 3-mth and 12 mth options.  Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello John. Appreciate your question.

Which version of Quicken are you using? Is it for PC or Mac: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi!

2016  R18.4 for PC.

Thanks,
    John
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    is there a way to have Gain/Loss YTD  added?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Note that the Gain/loss calculations only include share price changes, not dividends, Buys, or Sells. Is this what you want?

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    John said:

is there a way to have Gain/Loss YTD  added?

Certainly there is a way -- it could be programmed in.  That is what this "Idea" post might accomplish.  In light of the 1-month, 3-month, 12-month, and 'entire time' options, YTD could be a reasonable addition.  

OTOH, I am not clear what value that information adds.  Gain/loss is a specific and limited measure.  (Similarly, I do not see value in the other less-than-total time periods.)  To make your case, you might need to expand on how and why such information would be useful.
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am looking for the $ value for a period of time that calculates prices change and daily activity(buys, sales and reinvestment) with no income.    Gains/Loss is the closest I can find.

Thanks,
    John
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2019
    So you want the change in market value for each of your holdings since the start of the year.

Try the Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances report, Date Range = Year to date, Interval = Year, customize to select just investing accounts and on the Display tab check "Account detail" This gives the starting and ending values, you would have to export to Excel to get the changes.
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Correct, but that shows the balance not the P/L.  For example let say I have $10,000 worth of a particular stock and in the middle of the year I sell $5,000 worth.  I believe that report will show a $5,000 balance at the end of the year.  What I am looking for is the value of the remaining balance
     plus the gains/loss on the shares I sold/bought on a specific time frame.

My overall objective is within one report I want to see in two separate columns,  the total Gains/Loss and the net Income in the other.  I would like to see the % move separately so I can determine how a particular asset has performed in the two categories during a set time frame such as YTD, daily and monthly.

Thanks again for your help!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2019
    Your description is still unclear to me. When you say gain/loss on a sale, do you want the capital gain or loss for tax purposes, which depends on the price you originally paid for the shares you sold, or the change in value since the start of the period?

For me, Quicken's most useful measure of investment performance is the internal rate of return (IRR), which is shown in the Investing > Investment performance report and in the Av. Annual return columns in the Investing Portfolio views. Note that this is an annualized percentage, so it is misleading for holding or analysis periods of less than one year. If you want a meaningful YTD number, you can set the date  range in the Investment Performance Report to Yearly and Current year rather than the default YTD.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2019
    Also you might look at the Return columns in the Investing Portfolio views to see if they meet your needs. Note that the Return (%) YTD numbers are downloaded quote data. The best corresponding percentage number is the ROI (%) YTD.
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No,  not concerned about capital gains, just looking for the performance on a set period of time.  I would like the income gains separate from everything else.  If the value of my portfolio was up $20,000 in a period of time I would like to know how much money was made from Price movement, buy/sell and income. Basically a MTM analysis.

I looked at the return column and number are not accurate.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited January 2019
    Not to belabor the point, but would it be fair to say that the Return data is not what you are looking for rather than not accurate? What I am seeing is that the Return number for a holding is (current market value) + (cash distributions) + (sales proceeds) - (purchases) - (initial market value). This is the same data as shown in the details of the Investment Performance report. Are you seeing something different?

I take it you want this same data but not including the cash distributions.
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Correct, return is not what i am looking for but I back check the results and they are not calculating correct.  That is why I have been using Gain/Loss and Income with the understanding that I am not including buy/sales during the year.

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 2019
    I looked quickly at the Return YTD and ROI (%) YTD numbers with QWin 2019 R17.6 .

For my data they appear to be computed correctly using the above formula for Return

For ROI (%) the formula is (Return) / ((initial market value) + (investments)).

Alternatively, you can look at the Investment Performance report for the same period and

Return = Total Returns - Total investments
    ROI (%) = (Total Returns / Total investments) -1.

The ROI is a similar measure to the IRR in that it accounts for buys, sells, and distributions, but IMO is more useful for periods of less than one year because it is a simple percentage, not annualized.
  • John@138
    John@138 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.