Transactions in an investment account do not appear in the cash account

I do things the old fashioned way and hand enter data,  When I went to reconcile January, I found several transactions that did not appear in the cash account.  I copied them, deleted them and pasted them back into the investment account.  That worked and they appeared in the cash account.

I still had a big discrepancy between todays' balance and my Quicken balance.  February transactions were missing from the cash account. I copied/deleted/pasted 4 transactions, only one appeared in the cash account.  I had to do it again for the other 3 and this time it worked.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your investing account set up with a "Linked checking account" so that cash transactions in the investing account are recorded in a banking account?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    I think that's the way I did it.  I've been using Quicken for more than 10 years.  My brokerage accounts have a linked cash account, which appears under the Banking heading on the left side  and the only thing that changed was I upgraded to Quicken 2019 on Jan 7th.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, just to verify, if you go to the Account Details is "Yes" selected next to Show cash in a checking account?

Can you explain what you did when you "copied/pasted/deleted" the transactions?

With a linked checking account, you should be entering cash transactions (deposits, checks, etc.) in the checking account and  investing transactions that produce or use cash (Buy, Sell, Div, etc.) should automatically transfer the needed cash to/from the linked account.
  • Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    Yes it does show in checking account.  I didn't know where to find it without your help.

I go to the Investment account, I highlight the missing transaction, right click, and select copy transaction, I then delete the transaction, go to a new line and right click paste transaction. Then enter.

In between these posts, I found more stock sales that did not appear as cash in the checking account.  The copy/delete/paste did not work for some and I had to delete those entirely from the brokerage account and enter them entirely from scratch. 

If I click on edit details, the correct account is listed, so the transaction isn't going to a different brokerage account.

Re you last paragraph, yes that's the way I've always entered data, cash goes to the checking account, dividends and stock transactions in the brokerage account and everything has worked for years, up until upgrading to 2019.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yes it does show in checking account.  I didn't know where to find it without your help."
    Show cash in a linked checking account can't possibly show in the Account Details for the checking account ... it would be in the brokerage account.
    AND, in QWin, only a taxable account has this feature ... no retirement type accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The "yes show in checking account" is when I right click the brokerage account,. We are talking about a non retirement account and Windows

However I have two IRA's.  They were set up years apart.   1 IRA must have been set up as a brokerage account and one was set up as a Retirement account. 

The later is the one that lives below the line and one lives below a solid line in my list of accounts.  In the account details, both have the tax deferred account checked and both have yes, show in checking account checked.  These and all of my accounts have functioned, as Jim described in his 3rd paragraph for years. flawlessly if I didn't fat finger the data, until the 2019 upgrade.

• Jim_Harman
    I suspect there are hidden placeholders in your account that are messing with your cash balances.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.

Placeholders will have a gray background even if they are not selected and an Action type of Entry.

Please let us know if that is the case.
  • Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    Show hidden transactions was already checked
    I do not see any gray backgrounds in either the brokerage or checking side of the account.  I don't think I could have missed a gray background in the transactions I had to delete and re-enter.  We will see what happens going forward.

Thanks for you advice
    You don't think I need to reinstall quicken, do you?
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 2019
    OK, let's summarize:
    -- If you go to Edit account details for the problem account, it says the account is a Brokerage account and both tax deferred and Show cash in a checking account are selected.
    -- there are no Placeholders in the account.

Do I have this correct?

When you enter a Sell transaction, are all the options under Record Proceeds grayed out? They should be, because when there is a linked account that is the only place the proceeds can go.

But when you sell, the proceeds do not show up in the linked account?

I don't think it is a good idea to cut and paste transactions when there are transfers, because you may get broken transfers.. It is cleaner to delete a problem transaction and re-enter it.
  • Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    This is not a retirement account,  someone else introduced the idea of retirement accounts.  For now, the problem is in a regular brokerage account.  That one is not tax deferred (and not checked) but the Show Cash in Checking Account is checked:
    There are no placeholders.
    Yes the options are grayed out.

When I sell the proceeds sometimes do not show up in the linked account.  It does not matter whether I click on the Enter Transaction radio button, or enter the transaction at the bottom of the brokerage account register.  At the moment I cannot reproduce the behavior.

• Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    Wbone, you lost me at #4  Where is the action column? The buy, sell column?
    At present, I have no placeholders and everything is as it should be.  I've been using Quicken for at least 10 years and am doing nothing differently when these placeholders appeared all in the last month. 

I have entered 4 new transactions since I started this thread, and everything appeared in the appropriate accounts.
    If I wanted to cause placeholders to appear, what would I do?
  • Hen
    Hen Member ✭✭
    For now the error has not reappeared.  As I said in the beginning, I am manually entering transactions and have been doing so for 10+ years the same way.
    Thanks everyone.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    wbone said:
    Hen,  wish I could screen print and send to you...it would be easier to show. 
    Here's how you can capture screen image snapshots and post them in your discussions:
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
This discussion has been closed.