Quicken Mac 2019 Tax Exempt Dividend / Interest on Reports

Options
Ploooplooo
Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Hi Quicken Mac Community!  I am using Quicken Mac 2019.  I have mutual funds and bonds that pay Tax exempt dividend / interest.  I confirmed that the mutual funds and bonds are set up properly with the "Tax Free" box checked.  The dividends and interest from these investments appear in the "Tax Schedule" report as interest and dividend income indiscernible from taxable.  Is this consistent with other users experience, or is this unexpected and fixable?  Thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes that is corect and I tried to fix it and could not find a fix. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options
    In concur. I don't know a fix. I'd suggest using menu Help > Report a Problem to submit this. However, you won't get any feedback, so if you want confirmation that they've received it, you'll need to contact Quicken Support.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hey Ploooplooo,

It sounds like you may be using one of the built-in options that designate this transaction as a schedule B.

image image

According to Quicken, a Schedule B is taxable.

I created a new category and made sure Tax related was unchecked.

I then changed the Dividend transaction to a payment/deposit and this keeps the transaction off the report as it doesn't include a tax schedule.

I didn't find an appropriate tax schedule for this to have, if you needed this shown on the Tax schedule I would consider using the 'Unassigned Tax Item' option.

Hope that helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hey Ploooplooo,

It sounds like you may be using one of the built-in options that designate this transaction as a schedule B.

image image

I then changed the Dividend transaction to a payment/deposit and this keeps the transaction off the report as it doesn't include a tax schedule.

I didn't find an appropriate tax schedule for this to have, if you needed this shown on the Tax schedule I would consider using the 'Unassigned Tax Item' option.

Hope that helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hi Tyka... Yeah, that works. The only problem is that you can't change the category on a Dividend or Reinvest Dividend transaction in an investment account, so you are forced to make the transaction type Payment/Deposit. That, in turn, could mess up other reporting.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hey Ploooplooo,

image image

Hope that helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hey RickO,

Yes, so this could potentially require quite a bit of editing to pull off.

It does seem to be a common function that should be available or listed.

I would still encourage the OP to 'Report a Problem' that this function isn't readily available. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No need to add a new Category.  Change the Transaction to Payment/Deposit and use the .Div Income NT category.
This discussion has been closed.