Security List - Is there a quick way to remove all items from watchlist / download?

I have 100s of stocks and options from many years listed in the security list. I was trying to remove all of them from downloading and the watch list by clicking on the Select All button. Unfortunately, that selected all of the stocks and options for downloading and there appears to be no simple method to "deselect all". Manually clicking on each will take forever. I would like to quickly de-select all stocks from being downloaded and placed in the watch list and then add back the few I care to keep.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The easiest way to undo any unintended change to the data file is to restore a data file backup saved before the change was introduced: select File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File...

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no mass-select/mass-edit tool I am aware of.  Would appear to me that working through the Security list would be the quickest.  

You can also pull up a portfolio view, customize to the Watch List 'account'.  From there rt-clicking on a security pops up an option to remove the security from the Watch List.  That is 2-clicks/security which is why the Security list would appear to be quicker to me.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The easiest way to undo any unintended change to the data file is to restore a data file backup saved before the change was introduced: select File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File...
  • TonyJackson
    TonyJackson Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions. I took the restore from backup approach as it seemed to be the easiest and quickest way to eliminate many of the selected stocks. Still, I wish there were a way to make the Security List only mark stocks/options for download / watch list that I have a non-zero number of shares. I don't care to download quotes or see in a watch list the stocks I no longer own.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Still, I wish there were a way to make the Security List only mark stocks/options for download / watch list that I have a non-zero number of shares. I don't care to download quotes or see in a watch list the stocks I no longer own.
    One of the principles of the Watch list seems to be for those who may be looking to purchase a security at the right price or situation.  I believe it is intended to be used for securities you do not currently own.  

My experience with downloading quotes has been that the checkmark on the security list is only part of the algorithm.  

IF (Download Quotes checked) AND (Shares Owned OR Watch List checked) THEN Quotes downloaded for that security.  

So you do not need to go through the security list as you sell off positions to reduce the scope of quotes downloads.

You do need to maintain the Watch List.  To that effect, my wish would be that the Watch List box not get checked each time I manually create a new security or that the option that used to exist be brought back.
    See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7365523/q-windows-when-adding-a-new-security-make-add-to-watch-list-optional to vote on that idea.
This discussion has been closed.