2019 Rental property upgraded fro 2016

Options

I follow these instructions from the property and debt screen.
When I click add, the transaction does not show up on the specified rental property.  I can find it on the checking account I specified and the schedule E form but not on the specific property transactions screen.

Any thoughts???

Enter rent

1. In the Rental Property tab, click the Rent Center button.
  2. Click Add Transactions and then choose Enter Rent.
  3. Select the property in the Property list.
  4. Select the tenant in the Tenant name list.
  5. In the Memo field, enter a note. (Optional) You can display memo information in reports.
  6. Under Payment Information, select the account you'll use to receive rent.
    •   What if I delete a rent account?

You can delete an account only if there is no transaction in the account register, and if you have not used the account in any scheduled transaction.

If you delete a rent account, you will not see the account name in the Account name list. However, you can see hidden accounts in the Account name list if the tenant being edited is associated with scheduled transactions in the hidden account.

7. Enter details about the rent received.
  8. Click Add.

This feature requires Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property. Learn how you can upgrade Quicken in minutes.

Answers

• Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @dbrogers,

Thanks for posting your question on our Community forum today, though I'm a bit confused by this comment:
    dbrogers said:

I follow these instructions from the property and debt screen.
    Are you starting from the Property and Debt tab or the Rental Property tab? Try visiting the Rental Property tab and set the drop-down fields in the upper left corner of the screen to your desired preferences (in yellow):

As you enter transactions, they should appear under the corresponding month column to the right (underlined above in red), allowing you to track the payments for each property.

I followed the steps you provided above and was able to see the transaction in the Rent Center screen, the payment account register, and the Schedule E Report. If this information does not help to resolve your issue, please reply with more details of what you're expecting to see when adding the transaction.

Thank you,
    Alex
  • dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    In the Rental tab I use the "add Transactions" pull down and add rent or expenses.  these entry's show in the sched E and in the checking account register but not in the rent center screen for that particular property.
  • Quicken Alex
    Quicken Alex Alumni ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @dbrogers,

What are your drop-downs set to? See yellow area in photo above.

Thank you,
    Alex
  • dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your help Alex. The drop down are set like the ones in the picture.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From C. D. Bales;

When you first add a Tenant to a Property, Quicken creates a special Reminder for the rent. That rent reminder is problematic; it frequently gets out of whack and there is no direct way to correct it.

I think the best way to deal with those Quicken-created rent reminders is to delete them (from Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders) ... and create regular reminders for the rent.

For a user-created rent reminder, you need to:

- make "Due next on" date no earlier than the first day of the rent period and no later than the last day of the rent period (the first day is preferable)

- make the payee name the same as the Tenant name

- use a rent income category with a Schedule E tax line item assigned (you should find at least one already present in your Category List)

- assign the appropriate Property Tag

- make the reminder amount equal to the rent amount specified in the Tenant dialog

If you have created a correct reminder, you should be able to enter it by selecting the Property/Tenant in the Rent Center and clicking the Enter button.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, I followed your suggestions but that didn't help. I deleted all reminders. I still only get entries in the Sched E report and the checking account the rent or expense is deposited in. Not the specific rental house screen
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your problem completely.
    I found, some time ago, that if there isn't a reminder for each tenant, I couldn't enter rent via the add transactions drop-down. Once I created reminders for all the tenants, everything worked fine. 
    Maybe that will help?
  • dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks I'll give that a try.  I cant add rent or expenses via the add transaction dropdown.   
  • dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    I added the reminders and still cant enter rent or expenses via transactions drop down.  
    When I am in the register for the specific rental property (account overview I believe is what this screen may be called) there are no entries that are shown, even thought I have "all dates", "any type" and "all transactions" shown as my preferences.  The transaction do show up in the Sched E report so I know they are in the database somewhere

Thanks for everyone help

DR
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

"I added the reminders and still cant enter rent or expenses via transactions drop down."

I suggest you re-read my previous post, carefully; I do not believe you are following all the instructions there.

[I have done what I suggested dozens of times in multiple versions of Quicken. When done correctly, it works 100% of the time.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    The response you quoted was from a different suggestion.  I did delete the automatic reminders and re-added them per your instructions.  Then I added an expense and a rent transaction from the drop down  The entries shows in the checking account where it was deposited and on the sched E form but not on the specific property account.

I don't doubt that I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what.
    Thanks for any help anyone can offer.  
  • dbrogers
    dbrogers Member ✭✭
    Options
    <span>Perhaps my question should be "In the Rental tab I use the "add Transactions" pull down and add rent or expenses.   On which from should this entry show up" </span>
This discussion has been closed.