I can not bring up year end report 2018. I need for taxes. It only goes as far as July.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running?
    What is the name of the report are you trying to see?
    Are you perhaps looking at a report that was saved with a specific date range?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe 2017  …  Itemized categories for 2018 only goes back as far as July. Does the same with my bank register.  Never had this problem before. Very confused.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Date range says last year Jan 1 to Dec 31 2018
  • Jim_Harman
    edited March 2019
    Ok, let's do some experiments.

If you use a different report, say itemized payees, for last year, do you see the same problem?

If you choose annual and 2017 for the date range ,what do you see?

And in your account registers, do you see transactions before last July?
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
     If you use a different report, say itemized payees, for last year, do you see the same problem? Yes same problem. 
    If you choose annual and 2017 for the date range ,what do you see? Where do I find this?
    And in your account registers, do you see transactions before last July? All my accounts are ok except my checking, which is what I need.  

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Validate

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019 repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Jim_Harman
    If you choose annual and 2017 for the date range ,what do you see? Where do I find this? Open the Itemized Categories report. At the top next to Date Range, pick Yearly and 2017. Is it blank, meaning there are no transactions for 2017?

And in your account registers, do you see transactions before last July? All my accounts are ok except my checking, which is what I need. 
    What is not OK about your checking account? Of course if there are no transactions in that account before last July, there will be nothing for the report to show. 
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Is it blank, meaning there are no transactions for 2017? Do you mean 2018?  I have tried 17 and 18 same thing.  
    Of course if there are no transactions in that account before last July, there will be nothing for the report to show. I have had quicken for years and never had this problem. 

• Jim_Harman
    When you say "same thing" do you mean for 2017 it only includes transactions between July and December?

Sorry, but I am still trying to understand exactly what "this problem" is.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    I really hope we can solve it as I need 2018 expenses.

• Jim_Harman
    I hope we can solve it too.

Have you tried validating, as @UKR suggested above? 

Can you explain in detail when you set the date range for the report to 1/1/2017 through 12/31/2017? I am trying to understand whether the report can't find any transactions prior to July 2018.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    No I have not tried validating as scared to do so for fear of losing anything more.  I have tried everything I don't know what to do anymore.  What could of happened? 
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Validating a file is pretty much the first step in troubleshooting errors and issues.

• Jim_Harman
    Any time you are about to do something in Quicken that might cause further problems, it is always a good idea to back up your data first.

Go to File > Backup and Restore  > Back up Quicken file, pick a location, and Back up Now.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    I have all my accounts backed up. Do that every morning when I do my bookwork.  I have always been able to put into find what I am looking for such as heat, electric, Repair to name a view.  Now it only takes me back to july of 2018?
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    The check account seems to be the big problem.  why it only takes me back so far I don't understand.
  • Jim_Harman
    Are there transactions in your checking register prior to July of 2018?

I understand that if you set the date range for the report to 1/1/2018 to 12/31/2018 you only get transactions from July to Dec 2018.

If you set the date range for the report to 1/1/2017 to 12/31/2017, what transactions (if any) are shown in the report?
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    no entries in checking register prior to July 5th of 2018
    If I set the date range for the report to 1/1/2017 to 12/31/2017 It seems to work ok for that year.

I think I'm going to give up for the day as I'm exhausted and mind dead from trying to figure this out.  Thank you. I'll check back in the morning.

• Jim_Harman
    Aha. So the problem is that the transactions in your checking register are missing from about 1/1/2018 to 7/5/2018.

Is it possible that you entered them in a different copy of your data file, or maybe you switched computers or had some problem in July that caused you to go back to an earlier version of your data file?
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    I did change computers not sure exactly when but do have a backup on external drive. I will check in morning. 
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Computer guy that set this computer up supposedly copied everything to this small external hard drive. I can't find any quicken on it.  Unless I'm not looking in the right place.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    The device he copied to is called Tripp-Lite

• rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Is there anyway that maybe Quicken would have copies or am I just out of luck.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Quicken Inc will not have a copy of your data file.

Perhaps your computer guy would be able to find a backup copy. You would be looking for a file with an extension of .QDF or .QDF-backup dated around July 2018.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    Found one dated 5/23/18 that's as far back as it is taking me.  It wants to restore it. Is there anyway that I can just open it and see if this is going to help me without restoring my Quicken.
  • rockon2011
    rockon2011 Member ✭✭
    I think I can get 98% of it and that at this point is awesome.  Will work more on it tomorrow...Thank you...
This discussion has been closed.