Portfolio Value Report

Hello, I have been using Quicken Premier 2006 (yes, I know it's old) for years and it does all I need to do with one exception. When I do a "Portfolio Value" report under Investing, it totals the cash in each sub account and then lists and totals it twice. So, the end report doubles the Cash content. I have tried all I can think to do but can't eliminate this problem. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.My operating system is Windows 7 Professional with the Chrome browser, if that helps.

Best Answers

• Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Jim, that's great information. I have printed out those instructions and now see what you were referring to. Thanks again so much for your patience and help.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    For the most part, let me say please ignore the two above posts. For reasons I can't fathom, after spending a good part of yesterday on the above activities, this morning I again downloaded the 2013 version and all went well. Yesterday it could not open the data file and today it opened it and did the conversion. I don't know of anything that I did differently, but hey, it worked. I then proceeded to install the 2019 version and set up an account and all went well. However I did have a scare. When I ran the Portfolio Value report, I saw the same problem of counting cash twice as I had in the 2006 version. Needless to say I was disappointed. But then I looked for any updates and lo and behold there was an update to be run. I ran that and the problem was corrected. No counting cash twice! Finally success. Thanks to all who contributed. It was very much appreciated.

Answers

• Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much Jim for your reply.I think you're right, it probably is time for an upgrade. I'm a little confused though by your comment, " you may have to go through a a couple of intermediate conversions to update your data file.". Do I understand that just a newer version of Quicken would not, in itself,solve the problem? Any further help you can give concerning that issue would be appreciated
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The problem is that the data file format has changed so much since 2006 that you must convert to 2013 first. See the article referenced in my edited response above.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Jim, that's great information. I have printed out those instructions and now see what you were referring to. Thanks again so much for your patience and help.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Jim, just one more follow up question. Do I un-install my 2006 and then the intermediate 2013 version when I install the more current (2019) version of Quicken? The instructions I printed out from the link you provided don't mention anything about un-installing the older versions.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much Geoff.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I know I'm beginning to sound like Detective Lt. Columbo, but "just one more question". In the instructions for performing the conversion, it mentions,"we strongly recommend the converted file be used for reference only. A new data file should be created for future data entry. Stability issues could occur if new data is added to the original file". Does this mean that I would need to duplicate my existing transactions (4 years worth) into a new data file. I'm not aware how to do this other than manually re-entering this data. Am I correct in this assessment? Many times I want to print a report on transactions going back several years to the current or some Custom date - I would need the existing data to be able to do that. 
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    Thank you again, Jim. Yes, I'll do that.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hello again, Jim. I have started the conversion process and have run into a problem . I have downloaded the 2013 version and have Run it and tried to open it. It states it has located my data file and asks for the password. I have entered the password that I have used successfully on my 2006 version for a long time and it won't accept it. It says it doesn't match the stored password. I don't know of any other password that may have been used in the recent past. I have used a password manager (KeePass Safe) since 2016. With this method, I Copy and Paste the password and it is always successful. After several tries, I manually entered the computer generated password, again to no avail. I clicked on the Help option and verified everything concerning the password and was considering the Password Removal Option - the last option offered. I clicked on that link but I didn't see anything that looked like it would perform that function. I was wondering if you had any suggestions. Would it be recommended to go ahead and install the 2019 version anyway? That doesn't seem prudent when I can't open the 2013 version - so I'm a little lost here. The Help function mentions Restoring a previous Backed up version of the Data file, but that doesn't make sense to me, since I'm trying to "convert" that file to another format, what good would it do to "Restore" to the 2006 version?Any help will be appreciated.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have made some progress? since my last post. I found some info in some other Community links that suggested uninstalling the current (in this case the 2013) version and re-installing the 2006 version. Once back in the 2006 version I was able to open the data file and removed the need for a password. I then re-installed the 2013 version, and when I try to open it, it shows finding the data file and when I opt to open that file, it doesn't ask for a password but when clicking on the "Get Started" button, nothing happens - zilch. If I migrate to the data file on my computer and right click the file and then click on "open in Quicken", I get a message "Cannot open the selected file". So basically, I am still not able to open the data file in the 2013 version. (I did notice that the 2013 version is the "Deluxe" where my 2006 version is "Premier" - don't know if that's a factor or not). Still have not done anything with the 2019 version.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019 Answer ✓
    For the most part, let me say please ignore the two above posts. For reasons I can't fathom, after spending a good part of yesterday on the above activities, this morning I again downloaded the 2013 version and all went well. Yesterday it could not open the data file and today it opened it and did the conversion. I don't know of anything that I did differently, but hey, it worked. I then proceeded to install the 2019 version and set up an account and all went well. However I did have a scare. When I ran the Portfolio Value report, I saw the same problem of counting cash twice as I had in the 2006 version. Needless to say I was disappointed. But then I looked for any updates and lo and behold there was an update to be run. I ran that and the problem was corrected. No counting cash twice! Finally success. Thanks to all who contributed. It was very much appreciated.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    JIm, please see my edited post just above your reply. The problem has been solved. The update solved the issue. No more double counting cash.
  • Train Guy
    Train Guy Member ✭✭
    The update took the program to version R18-15
This discussion has been closed.