Broker Account Error Message: "Resulting Value Too Big. Enter as More Than One Transaction"

I'm trying to enter a normal "Buy" transaction into a broker account (Quicken Premier 2019) -- just like I've done lots of times before.  When I enter the number of shares, I get an error message:  "The resulting value is too big.  Please enter it as more than one transaction."

The stock price is only $29 and the number of shares I'm buy is only 2,000 -- I've entered larger transactions before.

Best Answer

• rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Solved it.  Turns out the sell in Feb. actually executed across 2 trades -- with the 2nd one being for 1,100 shares.  I never accurately specified which lots to use on either trade.  So it looks like Quicken liquidated the entire lot on the 1st trade, so when the 2nd trade entry hit, Quicken thought I was short by 1,100 shares.
    Once I went in and specified specific lots for the 1st and 2nd trades, I was then able to enter today's trade correctly -- without an error message.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try File > File Operations > Validate and Repair and select Validate file to see if there is a problem with your data file.

Also go to the Security detail view for your security, click on Update and Edit Price History and if there is an outlandish price recorded for the date in question, correct it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭

No luck – same issue after trying both approaches below.

Oddly, I’m able to enter the precise Buy transaction in one of my other Quicken broker accounts.  But when I try to copy/paste (or cut/paste) the transaction into the problematic broker account, I get the same error message.

• rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭
    Also, when I enter a Buy transaction into the problematic account, of the same magnitude (but of a different stock), not problems.
    So it seems like the issue is localized to a specific stock in a specific account.  If either of those parameters is changed, there's no issue.  And there doesn't appear to be anything weird in the price history data.
  • rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭
    Further symptoms:  I can enter the Buy transaction into the problematic account, at a reduced number of shares (1,000 vs. the actual transaction of 5,000).  At 1,000 shares the transaction is accepted.  When I try to increase the number (to 1,100), the error message comes again.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That certainly seems weird. When you buy 1000, do all of the resulting numbers - price per share, total cost, total shares held after the buy, and cost basis - all look correct?

Will it let you buy another 1000?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭
    All numbers look correct.
    I just noticed when I run a CapGains report, there's a crazy CapLoss on the security (which is SPDW).  When I enter the 1,000 share buy in the register (dated today), the CapGains report shows a CapLoss of some outrageous negative number, tying back to a Feb. 8th transaction (which is showing in the report as if I shorted the stock in Feb.).  I did actually sell SPDW back in Feb., but I owned those shares (i.e., they weren't shorted).  When I look at that broker account holdings, before and after that Feb. sell, it's reflected accurately (i.e., the shares of SPDW before the sell, and 0 shares after the sell -- so there's no shorting).  But for some reason, the buy today tags to a fictitious short sell -- which drives an outrageous CapLoss.
  • rkramer
    rkramer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Solved it.  Turns out the sell in Feb. actually executed across 2 trades -- with the 2nd one being for 1,100 shares.  I never accurately specified which lots to use on either trade.  So it looks like Quicken liquidated the entire lot on the 1st trade, so when the 2nd trade entry hit, Quicken thought I was short by 1,100 shares.
    Once I went in and specified specific lots for the 1st and 2nd trades, I was then able to enter today's trade correctly -- without an error message.
This discussion has been closed.