Creating a Donor Advised Fund Account

Options
How do I create a donor advised fund in investments?  It's a tax-free investment account so right now I have it set up like a 529 account but Quicken won't connect with my brokerage to update the account because it's not really a 529.  Is this a function that needs to be addressed by a Quicken update?

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:

"Is this a function that needs to be addressed by a Quicken update?"

No. 

It's up to your financial institution to elect to provide downloads to Quicken (and .CSV downloads don't count). Your financial institution must also choose which accounts they provide downloads for.

Not all financial institutions provide Quicken downloads. And those financial institutions that provide downloads do not necessarily provide downloads for all their account types.

"I have it set up like a 529 account but Quicken won't connect with my brokerage to update the account because it's not really a 529."

Not only will your financial institution have to choose to provide downloads for your account; but your financial institution will have to choose an account type recognized by Quicken and to format their download in the appropriate format for that account type.

Bottom line: talk to your financial institution.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you look at this more comprehensive discussion, https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7824275/what-is-the-best-way-to-use-quicken-to-track-activities-and-contributions-on-a-donor-advised-fund-at, and add your comments or questions there.  That should reduce rehashing the same issue over again.  

You might also search this site for "donor advised" and find a few other similar discussions. 

Having made those two suggestions, I am going to ask that this post be closed to prevent rehashing.  Not my decision, but it might happen.  
This discussion has been closed.