Can I track Hours or Dollar Amounts for each Project?

Options
We need the ability to track projects on various factors.
Is it possible to track the hours the sales reps spend on each project?
Besides putting it in the Description field? 
I can't think of a creative way to alot hours, which is the way we bill, towards each project.
Or can we track in terms of a dollar amount?

There is a mileage tracker. We would love an "hours tracker" :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Corinne 

Best Answer

Answers

• Cory CND
    Cory CND Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. That's what I wondered. My boss wanted Quicken because he'd used it before but it doesn't seem to be enough for us. Is Quickbooks similar to Quicken in that it shouldn't take me long to learn it? Can you migrate information from Quicken to Quickbooks? Thank you for the information. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here are a couple of links about
    You can also search these sites for more information about converting Quicken to Quickbooks.
    It looks to me like you need some heavy duty Project Tracking software which includes progress reporting via time sheets. Each employee reports how many hours have been worked on each project per week. This is entered into the project tracking software to update project status and results are also transferred (somehow) to your company's accounting software / payroll system.
    What's available on the market? I have no idea. Sorry. I stopped tracking these things when I retired several years ago.
  • Cory CND
    Cory CND Member ✭✭
    Options
    Your suggestion of Quickbooks was appreciated. It seems there is now detailed project tracking with that product. I had a live chat with a representative and am expecting a call back from a sales rep. They have a 50% off promotion so at $20/mth I think we are going to switch. The migration of information might not be too smooth but it's more important in the long run to have the right program.

Thank you.

Corinne
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    QB can read your Q data file directly ... so the migration should be quite smooth.
    NOTE, however, that it's a one-way street.  There's no way to convert data from QB to Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Cory CND
    Cory CND Member ✭✭
    Options
    I think we will go to QB. I'm just hoping there isn't much of a learning curve.
    Their rep sent me a tutorial link and a "test drive" link to check out the functionality.
    Apparently, QB is no longer affiliated with Q however since my version can export data files to excel I can do it that way and the import to QB.
    They said some data may be lost but it's better than losing everything. 
    Thank you for your input. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're welcome. Thank you for reporting back.
    If you would, please send us an occasional update on how the conversion is going. This might help others in a similar situation.
  • Cory CND
    Cory CND Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will do that. We will likely proceed next week.
This discussion has been closed.