How do I manually update my Thrift Savings Plan holdings?

In previous versions of Quicken, when I got my quarterly TSP (GOV'T) statement, I could update the value of my holdings by entering the number of shares and cost per share from my statement and my quicken account would match my statement...I can't find this option now...

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Unfortunately as I understand it, there is no way to automatically download the prices of the TSP funds into Quicken. As @q_lurker notes, you can work from a Portfolio view or the Holdings view in your account to update them manually. This is handy if you have several prices to update on the same date. If you want to update several dates for one security, you can go to the Security detail view and edit the price history.

You can also download historical prices here
    https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundPerformance/index.html

This file can be opened in Excel and with some manipulation you should be able to import the price history into Quicken.

For information on importing the price history, search Quicken Help for "Import Data"

Be sure to back up your data file first, in case something goes awry.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Q product are you running?  What Build/Release?
    Are you transferring money into your TSP account (in Q) to purchase those shares?  If so, why doesn't a simple BUY transaction work for you?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    And if you are not transferring the money in, you would use Shares Added transactions to add the number of shares purchased during the period.
  • memurray67
    memurray67 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies! The shares are already there but the value of each share has changed so the value of my overall "portfolio" (I had to use quotes because what I have cannot in anyway be described as a portfolio!) has changed. I cant connect to anyone online for the TSP so I'd have to update the share value manually.
  • memurray67
    memurray67 Member ✭✭
    And I'm on Q2019, R18.16, Build 27.1.18.16
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Unfortunately as I understand it, there is no way to automatically download the prices of the TSP funds into Quicken. As @q_lurker notes, you can work from a Portfolio view or the Holdings view in your account to update them manually. This is handy if you have several prices to update on the same date. If you want to update several dates for one security, you can go to the Security detail view and edit the price history.

You can also download historical prices here
    https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/FundPerformance/index.html

This file can be opened in Excel and with some manipulation you should be able to import the price history into Quicken.

For information on importing the price history, search Quicken Help for "Import Data"

Be sure to back up your data file first, in case something goes awry.
  • Wind_Woman
    Wind_Woman Member ✭✭✭
    I've been struggling with TSP inside Quicken too for many years!  I created the account placeholder in Quicken in 1998 and for many years was manually updating as a single holding with statement as memurray67 mentioned.

At some point in the past, that account type got changed to an Asset account, so Zillow keeps wanting to give me Zestimate's...Good grief.

It has never really behave like say a Vanguard account, with multiple mutual investment accounts inside it.It's pretty sad actually that the investment house of this size is not in the technology age!  I gave up manually inputting in 2016... as much as I wanted it to match my statement, it just was a hassle.

Just recently, I manually created a new Quicken TSP account, put my individual investment funds (aka G, C, S or L) in so that what is mentioned above can occur- aka get statement, update share and account price so at least it is included in my net worth. I've given up hope of recording individual purchases (mine and agency match). Who knows what I will due in retirement (next month, yahoo!), when I actually start to draw from these account.

I guess I'm just adding a empathy post here not a solution. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.